Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from dropping my wife at the train station in the 4WD, she works in hospital administration and had to get in to work, looks to be at least a foot of snow so far. Quite windy too. Yikes!

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, they're predicting high winds here tonight as well. With all the snow we had yesterday (7.5-10.0") we'll probably have trees down.
I'm on my way to get my chainsaw and crank it up right now, just in case.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yeah, I know it is Ray. But down here we don't usually have that much at once and the trees and such don't like it.
Hope all of you Northern folk stay safe in the grip of this storm. It looks pretty bad from my house (laptop screen).

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a automated phone call this morning saying we are now at a "code red" state of emergency and are really, really to stay off the roads as they are impassible. I looked out to see what is in store for snow blowing/shoveling and you can just barely see the top of the cars in the driveway. Still very windy but the snow has just about stopped.

My back/neck is not going to take kindly to what I am about to do to it.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Got a automated phone call this morning saying we are now at a "code red" state of emergency and are really, really to stay off the roads as they are impassible. I looked out to see what is in store for snow blowing/shoveling and you can just barely see the top of the cars in the driveway. Still very windy but the snow has just about stopped.

My back/neck is not going to take kindly to what I am about to do to it.
Riot. We call that "Winter accumulation." Funny how what will cripple one area and make national news, wont even get mentioned if it happens in another. Just another day in paradise.......http://eplay.typepad.com/.a/6a00e008d68b9688340120a778d825970b-320wi
:note: OH THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS........ well, normal. :note: LOL In case you were wondering, the machine in the pic is not a walk behind snowthrower. We put huge snowthrower attachments on DUMP TRUCKS. Then the college kids build 2 story tall ice sculptures at winter carnival and have the worlds largest snowball fight. http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/MTU_winter_carnival/MTU_winter_carnival.html

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Riot. We call that "Winter accumulation." Funny how what will cripple one area and make national news, wont even get mentioned if it happens in another. Just another day in paradise.......http://eplay.typepad.com/.a/6a00e008d68b9688340120a778d825970b-320wi
:note: OH THE WEATHER OUTSIDE IS........ well, normal. :note: LOL In case you were wondering, the machine in the pic is not a walk behind snowthrower. We put huge snowthrower attachments on DUMP TRUCKS. Then the college kids build 2 story tall ice sculptures at winter carnival and have the worlds largest snowball fight. http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/MTU_winter_carnival/MTU_winter_carnival.html
Exactly. You guys (and areas like yours) have the equipment and are prepared to deal with things like these. We get 4 feet and it is like we go back to the stone age.

·
Registered
81 Posts
We had three to 4' (100 cm) of the white fluffy stuff 2 weeks ago followed by a 15 " dusting last week. Shut down the major highway out of Sarnia (Port Huron, Mi) for 3 days. Made CNN news highlites.

4°F and rain predicted for this weekend.

Welcome to winter.

Larry

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm in lower Fairfield county in CT and we only got 10-12". Very lucky compared to NJ and NY. Not sure north and east of us and Mass what they had. I went out to shovel ever few hours to say ahead of it. More of a wind and drift problem here than actual snow. Plus the frozen goodness at the end of the drive from the town plows. LOL that's the worst part.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
You Yooper folk are a breed apart living with all that lake effect snow the way you do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
hardly anything here at all in the Hamilton Ontario area.......weird.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My bride of 50 years is from Iron Mountain, MI. and we have lived in Bloomington Illinois, Michigan, Chicago, South Dakota, and now Indy. We laugh all the time at how 1 - 3 inches gets the schools closed here, and places like we have lived in the past just understand it is WINTER......

One year Indy decided to place 55 gallon drums full of sand at intersections that were prone to cause problems with cars getting stuck. Well they placed shovels in the drums, and you guessed it, THE SHOVELS WERE STOLEN THE FIRST COUPLE WEEKS.

Here in Indy when the news comes on the TV the first thing out of their mouths, BIG SNOW COMING, then when they get to the REAL story they talk of MAYBE 1 - 3 inches. They spend at least three segments of the 30 minutes news show on the weather.

Have you been noticing the SOUND SPIKES/STREAKS or whatever you want to call them that stations are throwing at us lately? I am even hearing them on the radio as of late. Brian Williams has a very loud one just after he starts his show.

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
We laugh all the time at how 1 - 3 inches gets the schools closed here, and places like we have lived in the past just understand it is WINTER......
A forecast calling for the possibility of 1/2" of snow will get schools closed here. 1-3" shuts down the entire Seattle-Tacoma-Everett region.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You know it's a slow news day when they gotta send out the idiot---er I mean broadcaster to stand in the drift/blowing rain/whatever to get you the story....like we never saw the stuff before! Just tell me the stuffs coming and move on for cryin out loud.

Losing power in an ice storm is not a way we want to spend our winters for sure....broken pipes isn't even the half of it!....Be as prepared as you can. The weather patterns have changed, but for how long we can only guess.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I am looking for some pictures to show yall. My 97 350 Crew with a 1000 pounds in the back will go through anything. Was pushing snow up over the top of the hood and the truck kept dogging through it. We normally don't get many drifts that tall but we had one real nice one. I chained the wifes jeep on the back of the truck, when I couldn't go any further she backed me up and I hit it again. Finally got her pulled out to the blacktop and then had to leave her jeep there. No problem getting the truck back to the house.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Johnboy,

By my calculations, 1 Meter (100 cm) = 39.370" and 3 Feet = 36". Hence, between 3 and 4 Feet. Lucan, Ontario, a mere 10 miles from us received over 125 cm. Although Canada converted to the metric system in the mid '70's, I still have to manually convert back to the Imperial system in order to visualize depths, temperatures, etc. That's what happens when the grey matter in the brain begins to turn black (pushing 70 don't you know.) :evil:

Johnboy
Re: It's the big one, Elizabeth, I'm coming to join you!
Originally Posted by purrvert

We had three to 4' (100 cm) of the white fluffy stuff

Larry

There's a little bit off on the conversion, here

·
Premium Member
2,259 Posts
I heard a good one the other night here on TV. This particular Weather Forecaster is beyond telling people how many inches of snow to expect...he now just says.....expect "Plowable Accumulations"

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Johnboy,

By my calculations, 1 Meter (100 cm) = 39.370" and 3 Feet = 36". Hence, between 3 and 4 Feet. Lucan, Ontario, a mere 10 miles from us received over 125 cm. Although Canada converted to the metric system in the mid '70's, I still have to manually convert back to the Imperial system in order to visualize depths, temperatures, etc. That's what happens when the grey matter in the brain begins to turn black (pushing 70 don't you know.) :evil:
I was sassing you about the 3'3" in a meter... :icon16:

I was with Coorsh (smoked meats) when we went to metrics... I'm still stuck with using 2.2046 for conversion. Kg's still don't mean much to me.

Cheers

Jean

1 - 20 of 49 Posts