Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Mustang & Fords magazine ran a story about the Stallions in their Rare Finds section a while back. It looks like they used the same picture that is on the website.

Everyone loves our tail lights. My friend has a 95 mustang and changed his lenses from the horizontal to the verticle ones used on the 96-98 cars so that he could run a sequencer from an after market place. He was "inspired" by my cat...:D

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do a little photoshop playing and looked at this a few months ago. I don't think it looks right with the square lines on the Cougar.

I "snaged" the original photo off the net for my own use and don't know who owns the original car, maybe you? The original car definately looks better then the fastback version.

(fixed the link)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Copy the link and paste it into the address bar on the browser.
Cool pic though - almost believable

·
Registered
794 Posts
Idunno, I kinda like it. Maybe it would look better with the vent/grille style quarter windows?

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
FASTBACK COUGAR

Hey whisperer, How could I get a copy of that pic. you posted of the 67 fastback cougar? Do you have any more of the car?? I would like to find out more on this interesting rarity..
[email protected]

·
Registered
23 Posts
CM, the car doesn't exist. It is a picture of a Cougar with a Mustang fastback from another picture digitaly added. I've been doing real customs for many years and have found that good ideas do not a great car make so now I will do several pictures of an idea first before ever picking up a welder. I use Adobe Photoshop to do the picture and then look at it for a while first.

Just because somebody gets an idea that they think would look great doesn't mean it will. A perfect example is that Cougar/Jag in the post above.............*G*.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
A REALLY GREAT DIGITAL PICTURE THEN

What kind of "customs " have you done? I am considering for a future project doing a 67 cougar fast back and was so surprised to see your picture. I had heard of a 69 prototype fastback cougar but never have seen a picture and I think I would rather do a 67/68 fstbck cat anyway. Parts seem to be more redily avaliable. I would like to know your thoughts on this Idea and any additional info you may have if possible. Thanks..

[email protected]

·
Registered
23 Posts
CM - I couldn't even begin to list them........ *G*. I had a shop for 20 years and over that much time I did a huge ammount of specialty work on Hot Rods Customs and Exotics. I'd be happy to help you plan this. This is as far as I've got:

In metal the Cougar and Mustang fastback are actualy way off. The cougar is longer by about 3" between the B post and the wheelwell, and the trunk width is 2" narower and 3" longer. It's not going to be one of those "just cut the roof at the A pillers and top of the 1/4's and weld it in" kind of jobs. The fasback section would need to be cut into at least 3 peices and lengthened which would change the shape also.

The most realistic way to do the job IMHO would be to do it in reverse. If a guy could find a 67/68 fastback mustang shell and swap the cougar sheetmetal onto it he would be way ahead to start. The doors are the same length, the deck width problem could be lost in the graft at the top of the 1/4's, the cowl and engine box section are the same so the whole front clip could be swapped. You would have to take 3" off the front of the cougar 1/4's at the front edge but that's do-able.

Before you start cutting up cars take a good long look at if it's worth it when you are done. I didn't think the cougar fastback realy looked that good, and for the same work and money you could build the cougar AND the fastback mustang into awesome cars in their own right and have both cars.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
WORKING IT

I think we're on the same page. I had never thought about cutting up either too much as you might have thought. I planed to start with a 67/68 mustang fastback and just swap the front sheetmetal. I didn't want this to be some super expensive project. Will the front end just swap over? Cougar doors and all the front sheet metal, hood, grill, ect.?
I know the dash and interior pieces could easily be swapped. Just not the rear area and I would have to do some interior fabrication there. But the body seems easily do-able with a 67 fastback stang and a 67 cat to work with. I would try to find a couple of wrecks with the damage in the correct areas. A 67 cat hit in the rear and a 67 stang hit in the front.. Put the two together instead of one.. I think the 67 Cougar fastback is pretty good looking myself. They should have made one.. Would this idea work??:confused:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
YES, USING THE COUGAR QUARTERS

Yes, I was aware of them not blending well so I was thinking that a little modification in the quarters front area would do it but maybe more than that is necessary. I also was going to use the readily available shelby taillight rear panel, fiberglass trunk and rear corner pieces and as Shelby did, a nice pair of 67 cat taillights. Keeping the mustang rear bumper as well. All this could keep the costs low and still end up with a nice finished look. Also spare parts are easier to get. How does this sound..??

From the rear it would look like a Shelby and from the side and front it would be Cougar.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could probably go with a Cougar base then graft in fiberglass repro pieces of 'fastback' mustang bodies. At least that way you wouldn't be cutting up a fastback in the process. If you reinforce the chassis as if it were a convertible w/sub-frame connectors then there's less chance of stress/flex fracturing where the fiberglass roofline joins the Cougar body. Also, if the trunk lid is similar in dimension to the Mustang, then it would probably be feasible to use the repro with the Shelby style tail piece & matching corners.
In addition, the recently released ground effects kit for the "Ronster" at Mustangs Plus might mesh well with a little tweaking - that would really round it all off nicely.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Kepp in mind that the doors will not match ....with a little work(mayby a lot) Any way it would be really cool

Don

I like the idea:D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, that's a good point. Then would it be easier to match the roof edges to the windows or the windows to the roof? I suspect Ford perhaps didn't introduce such spin offs because it would end up being a bunch of parts that were not interchangable with other models in case the line didn't take off well sales-wise.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
SERIOUS ABOUT THIS

I appreciate all the ideas on this as I'm going to do alot more research on this and am pretty serious about doing a 67 Cougar fastback. I will finish my current two projects by next spring or so and over the summer will be looking for a couple of donor cars. We'll see how it goes but I think It is do-able without getting ridiculous and the finished product could be "cateriffic"..
COUGRRMAN SAYS SO.

Thanks all and any other ideas are always welcme..:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts