Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been spending a lot of time helping my wife recover from back surgery, and doing lots of honey dues. Of course means no tome for cruising the net for cougars. Made the wife some lunch, she is taking a nap, so I jumped on the net and I ran across add for a 1970 cougar for sale. Add said "Have 70 convertible that I would like to go to someone that is interested in fixing her up again." From the phone #, the car was close to me, So i called the guy and talked with him for a bit, He said it was in ok shape, has about 153,000 miles, but needed some work - has not ran in about a year. need interior work, need brake hose or something like that, fuild on the ground, the brakes go to the floor, has not been started in about a year. Stated that he did not want some parting it out. I figured it was another rust bucket for sale. But since i have been cooped up for week and half, I asked if he had time for me to come look at the car, he said ya. I told the wife i was gona go look at a car. She said not another cougar again! ha. I met the guy at his house and followed him to the storage unit to see the car. When he rolled up the door my jaw hit the floor. when i saw the taillaghts on the car!! beautiful!! I knew this car was awesome. Top in great shape. walked up to the door to take a look at the interior - woe! We opened the hood - 351c 2 barrel with a/c. We talked about the car and i found out "She is a CA and TX car bought by my mother new and has always been garaged." I brought a jump box and few tools. We tied to start the car, but it is dead. tried the head light, horn - nothing! darn it. We said, well lets pusher her out to have some room to get her running, but she would not move. Put in neutral, did not budge. found out the frt drums are locked up. yep. His mom bought it with 4 wheel drum brakes. I did put some gas in the carb and jumped the starter off with a screw driver - varoom!! sweet. Well we made a deal for the car and agreed to meet up later that day for me to pick her up. I ran home and down the hall excited my wife was freeking out- what is wrong with you!! When i told her about it, she can't wait to see the car. I grabbed my trailer and call a friend to help go load her up. After I got her home and started looking at her I'm thinking only 53,000 miles, OD is at 52,764. found oil change sticker in 1983 for 51,455 miles. and sticker in 12/03 for 55,600. i have an one owner - one family car. I also have the window sticker, owners manual, warranty book with warranty card!!! The car under side covered in fluids, and what I have seen so far - little surface rust!!! I am stunned!

I have posted for some ideas for help to get it running.
http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?57946-Have-a-dead-cat

Attachments

·
Registered
913 Posts
It looks like you did very well for your self, now the fun begins .

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
nice! words dont describe how nice that car is to find like that

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I cannot even describe how much YOU SUCK!
AWESOME SCORE!!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Wow, great find man! If you don't mind, what price did you negotiate on 'er? Super, just super. Congrats!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Congratulations! That's a beautiful car. With a little work, you'll have something really great.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Beautiful car. Congrats. I wouldn't mind finding something similar to that for a part time daily driver.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Quick! go buy yourself a lottery ticket!!!

Days like this one don't happen that often.

Jean.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The gentilman i bought the car from knew what he had. He did not want her to go to a dealer, or some one who would abuse the car. He was more interested in the cat going to some one who would take care of he. He wanted the car to stay close by and not shipped off. I was lucky to be the one he chose to sell the cat to. We reached a fair agreement.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The gentilman i bought the car from knew what he had. He did not want her to go to a dealer, or some one who would abuse the car. He was more interested in the cat going to some one who would take care of he. He wanted the car to say close by and not shipped off. I was lucky to be the one he chose to sell the cat to. We reached a fair agreement.
Okay. As a fellow '69 'vert owner, I was just wondering what "fair" was. Certainly your perogative to say "I ain't sayin'". Congrats and best of luck with her!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Hoooly smokes man! That thing looks brand new! Wow!
Great find and congratulations!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Thanks for all the congratulations!!! Had some time to mess with the vert. It is still dead, no power to the fuse box. Checked the fluids - ok. used a jumper box and jumper wire to the ignition side on the solenoid and jumped the starter with a screw driver and a shot of gas. Turned over few times back fired thew the carb and roared to life. Unreal!! no smoke or noise. had the key turned to run. pulled the ignition jumper - still running! headlamp doors closed. wow. Weird thing, turn signals and brake light work, turn on headlamps - car stopped running. Tried the key switch - no thing, jumped again with key on and will run. I was gona back her up, oh shi_ brake peddle went to floor. not good. The car has no power to the fuse box. Any one have any ideas??? The ignition switch wiggles, the shifter is really sloppy. May be neutral safety switch, or fuseable link??? where to test if fuseable link bad with out unwrapping the ele tape and stabbing holed into the wiring harness??

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think ur screwed and that thing is totally ruined. You will never get it to start and run correctly. Im so worried about you and how much money that money pit is going to be, I can't stand to see someone suffer so. So, I'll make you a deal. I'm in Texas as well. I'll come get the car and you can just sign it over to me, chalk it up as a bad purchase, and i'll take it off your hands. You know, just to keep you from stressing and all.

:)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:wave:Well Barney, Texas is a Big state, I would hate for you to come all that way and be disappointed with this rag. How about I do ya a favor and put some more photos up for you to study on, to see if want'a do the right thing, and take if off my hands. I'm glad there is sum real nice folk looken out some else's well being.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
i think its too far gone. the paint is dirty. u'd have to wash it. i'll be glad to come get it. just tell me when/where.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
I'm thinkin you southern boys are both way over your heads with this one and should let one of us ECI's have a stab at bringing it back to life. Just send me an address and I will personally make the trip to take it off your hands. LOL. congrats on the great find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts