Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hammering out little things here and there. I got the overheating relatively under control. I've got the radiator stopped up with alumaseal as a temporary solution to a leak. Just today, I replaced the points. The ones that were there were looking super messed up, and I happened to have brand new ones sitting around.

Since I stuck the new ones on, adjusted it, and fiddled with my fuel/air mixture (more towards air), I've got it idling lower than I could ever get it before. Everything is running smooth and quiet. I'm kinda expecting better gas mileage. Before I did what I did today, I was only getting around 5.7 to the gallon.

However, I noticed that there's some pretty awesome knocking coming from my oil pan. I'm guessing that my oil pump is done for. No big deal, right? If it could possibly be something more, let me know.

The issue that I'm stumped on is this actuator thing for the headlights. If I keep I keep the car running, the covers function without any problems. If the car is off and the headlights are off, the covers just open themselves back up.

As of now, I keep those vacuum lines closed. I'd like to get this working right, as I feel this is part of what makes the car unique. :)

By the way, it's a 69 standard.

·
Registered
168 Posts
You have vacuum leaks!!!!! Thats why your having the bad gas milage and ideling issues!!! And why the hide a ways dont work! Those headlight vacuum pods always leak if they havent been rebuilt! start by capping off all the vacuum contols and get the moter dialed in then go thru all the vacuum ran stuff with a vacuum tester and see whats leaking! and the light switch in the dash is always good for leaking!! good luck

·
Registered
913 Posts
Burgertime,
What was causing the knocking coming from the oil pan? I hope it is not to bad.
If you need any more help troubleshooting your vacuum problems, let me know and I will walk you through it... Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
towcat, I replaced my oil pump today. The new pump seems to be doing its job. However, when I was getting the new one in, I didn't get that pan off quite right. Removing the crossmember gave me a lot of room to get the pump on, but I guess I screwed up one of those rubber seals. Now I have a nasty leak from the back of the pan. I see things that could give me more room to get the pan out the RIGHT way. I'm just too paranoid to touch any of it. How do I get this sucker off without making a total mess?

I guess now would be a good time to point out that it's a 351W.

As for that vacuum thing, I should be able to get my hands on a tester. I'm also thinking about some alternatives.

·
Registered
913 Posts
If you remove the cross-member,un-bolt the motor mounts, use a block of wood and jack up the engine and turn the crankshaft to where the counter balances are in the up most part of the block, the pan will slide right out.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I removed the crossmember and got some steering related things to where they could be moved around. The pan dropped right out.

Everything is pretty much back together. I'm going to tighten some things in the morning and see where this goes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts