Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
howdi folks just wondering if this is possible the rear rims on my 69 cougar are bigger than the front ones and they are cragars ....just for a quick test i want to switch front and back wheels back to front and front to back just to check something do you think the front will fit on the back and vica versa with no issues thanks for response in advance just asking cause was wondering if anyone else has done this ... i am to lazy to try it if it wont work thanks....215 on front rim and 235 on back rim

·
Registered
117 Posts
The numbers in the tire size refer to its width, aspect ratio, and wheel diameter. "205/55R16" means the tire is 205 mm wide, has an aspect ratio (that is, the width divided by the height) of 55%, and fits on a 16" rim. Are they the same height? I am not sure if a 235 will rub or not when turning hard when on the front. Why do you want larger width on the front? I believe the recommended tire is a 205 and you can go up to a 215 on the front for the 1969. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. Check the tire size/height (last number on the tire side wall, if the last number is the same on both then the rims are the same height and most likely the same width.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
THANKS for response but the rear rim is visually bigger it has a deeper dish than the front rim the reason why i wanted to switch them is because ...and before i say it i really did not want to mention this because there has been a zillion threads about it but i have a vibration in the back when driving ....i have done my homework and know all the things to check but one of the things to check is the tire ...i seriously doubt discount tires will lone me a set of tires to switch out on my rear rims while i take the car around the block to test if there is still vibration with the new set. so i got to thinking if i switch front and back this would be the easiest test like i said the rear rim has a deeper dish than the front so if the rims are the same size i would be suprised ....maybe they did that to give it the ofset look but the rear tires are a little bigger though

·
Registered
117 Posts
What is the complete set of numbers on both tires?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok rvercoe218 the numbers one the back are p235/60 R14 965 m+S on the front tires 215/60 R14...so do you think it will work for a test?

·
Registered
117 Posts
So the rims and tires are both 14"(same height /different widths)... I am not aware of how wide of a tire you can run on the front and still get full turning radius without rubbing. If it were me, I would pull the rear wheels and tires off and take then to be spun balanced. It's cheap, no chance to damage your car and never hurts to have tires balanced. Or put one on the front and without driving the car have someone turn full right and left to see if it hits anywhere.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had the tires balanced already ...now i like your idea though about switching them and having someone to turn left and right and check for rubbing excellent idea

·
Registered
117 Posts
If they have been balanced why would you assume it's still a tire issue? Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WELL from what i have learned on this website tires can be balanced just fine and still have vibration issues if the tire has un even wear or if somebody burns rubber allot like i do can cause uneven surfaces and thus possible vibration issues even though the tire may be balanced i learned all this from my search on this website and it does kinda make sense

·
Registered
117 Posts
I good tire shop with a quality balancing machine should detect that... good luck... that's all the free advice I have... see, you get what you pay for!!!:beer:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts