Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the pics from the owner. The car has no eng, no int, I don't know if it has a tranny or not. He's asking $750. What I'm wondering is approx how much is this car gonna cost versus how much I would spend to buy one already built?:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
It all depends on your abilities and how much time you want to invest in the project. There are a lot of people here that got complete cougars for $1000 - $2000. Replacing the interior will be mucho $$$$..... $750 seems high to me, but I am one that doesn't have enough time to spend on my 67:cry:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanx

$1000-$2000 is excactly the range I'm looking to be in. If I can find one that's complete for that I'll buy it.

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Look it over closly for rust out. surface rust is not a big deal but holes and rotted frame rails are. If its a solid body with surface rust than it could be worth that price. But if not don't go more than $350 to $500. With no intorier I'd try for the lowest you can.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hey Dex~

Check out the website listed below as OC_Cougar... I picked this '67 up for $1,000 from some guy out in the desert area. Some older retired guy who at one time had 40 cars on his property. Neighbors complained so he had to sell some off. This being one of the last to be sold.

Robert

·
Registered
197 Posts
What are you looking to do with it? If you need a driver then stay away from a basketcase like that, but on the other hand if you can get that cat for 750, drop in a 302/351/whatever, cheap paint new tranny. You can have a formidible racer for about 5k. It's all about what floats your boat:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want speed

Hey OC_Cougar geocities says you site has exceed the data transfer limit, but thanks for the info.
Cougar72, I have a truck for a daily driver, I want a rod. I'm just getting into this though and I am pretty lost. Would it be considered sacrilege to drop a big block in a cat? I do have some sever limits when it comes to budget, but I'm paitent;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Dex ~

Yeah, I noticed that. I'm hoping it's because I was adding/changing the pics around and not that geo has such low data transfer allowances on their free sites. I can't believe there would be too many hits to my site, I just made it yesterday...

What next, I have to pay the $4.95 per month for 5GB? Sheesh!

:angryfi:

Robert

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dont think many people would care if you dropped in a big block, just depends what kind you used. A chevy mill would make cougar owners mad(cougars and chevy's dont mix:D) However if you could get a junkyard ford or merc block then build it up yourself that might be economically correct for you. Also if that car doesnt have any rust other than that front patch, I say go for it. If things dont work out you can still part out the doors, shell, etc. and regain your original investment.
Get that Cat:1poke: hehe

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Big cat

I was thinking more along the lines of a 429. I don't know alot about cars, but I know I wouldn't desecrate a cougar like that.:)
I just e-mailed the owner for some more info. If I can get a chance to take leave and look at the car I'm going to. I think there's a certain pride in having a car that YOU built. Not sent off to this shop for the interior, that shop for the motor,etc.... Thanks to all of you for the info too. I know I'm going to have alot more questions for you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Web site

Hey OC I just checked you site. It's working now.

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
I think you should hold off and get something that you really can restore without a lot of headaches. You'll probably end up spending 1-1.5K but you;ll be better off in the ling run.

With old age brings wisdom:p:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resto n stuff

I’m just trying to weigh the pros and cons of this car or another. I think I told everyone I’m in the Marine Corps. I live in the barracks (ie: no garage) we have a auto hobby shop on base, but it costs like $25 per day to store your car there. I could tow it in and out of the shop every day, but once I get into restoring a car I don’t want to have to start and stop you know what I mean? I don’t know, maybe one of my friends will sacrifice his garage? Lol Really, It’s all about the budget. I make about what you pay in taxes in a year. No kidding

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
In my area where rust free cars are rare I would think it would sell pretty quick at that price. In my opinion the body doesn't look to bad and the rest can be fixed with a set of craftsman tools and some parts....can you say 5.0 AOD??? looks like a perfect candidate to me. Hmmm british racing green and a gold stripe, maybe some keystone classics with the gold trim....yep 750 doesn't sound that bad!!!!
John
wvcat

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey Dex, its not "sacrilege" to drop in a big block...68s came from the factory with 390, 427 and 428 engines. And BTW...WELCOME to the board!!!!:D

·
Registered
246 Posts
As a comparison, I paid $1500 for my Cougar and it drove home.

I'd try and talk that one down a bit.

But yeah, drop in a 5.0, you'll be in Hot Rod for sure. :-D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts