Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Yes it is....the car has been mentioned on this forum before...many on this site know a lot about it..

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
There's also a picture of it on WCCC's Hall of Shame. John

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After seeing the wheel widening work I probably would have had a conniption fit.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I can imagine that car, seeing her prowling around in the early 70's, what a babe.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Yes, car is a Hertz G...real thing. Emailed briefly with the owner, and it sounds like the reserve is set high, as he plans to sell the car after the Ebay auction.

·
Registered
292 Posts
She's been around the block a few times, it looks like.
The car too. RIMSHOT I'll be here all week!

OK, for those of us that don't know much about it, can those of you that do give us ignorant folk what you know? I've looked at all the pictures, and that car looks like a major pile of work. Yes, it's a G, but I'm sorry... There is a limit to what I'd want to get involved in, and when I looked at the pictures, I think what the winner is actually going to buy is the VIN and build a new car around it. Not that there is anything wrong with this approach. Better than putting it in the crusher.

Can anyone out there shed some positive light on the car? Like perhaps my evaluation is way off and the car is a bargain? Personally, I'd love to buy it, but my concerns are listed above.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,704 Posts

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
In my opinon having owned four G's I think this car has already exceeded the price of its value. The restoration of this car will be extremely expensive. It needs just about everything. I realize it is a Hertz car but if you can't do all the work yourself you would be better off buying a car that is already done. That being said, the only way to determine the "real" value/worth of anything is the price that a buyer and seller agree to at any given place and time.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Strong bidding, what's this car worth as is?
The million dollar question is what will it be worth/valued when restored. The NADA guide for classic cars doesn't even have a value for these cars. Therefore there must be a very thin market for these "G" cars.

:smoke:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
It's not restored and it is for sale now....I agree with Scott Gregory 100%.

·
Registered
292 Posts
OK, so
1) given that this car is a legitimate G, and
2) there are very few pieces of it that can be saved,

Wouldn't it be a wise investment to by this car for its vin number and title, and swap it with a car that is in much better shape? You can get a sunroof cut into it, and whatever else it needs to make it a "Hertz G".

I know this is frowned on, and I'm not trying to suggest someone do something unethical or illegal. However, How much of the original car must be used in the new car to make it a legitimate rebuild? This car looks like it needs everything. I don't see the difference between rebuilding the car around the VIN, or putting the VIN in a rebuilt car. Is there an official answer to this question?

·
Registered
563 Posts
OK, so
1) given that this car is a legitimate G, and
2) there are very few pieces of it that can be saved,

Wouldn't it be a wise investment to by this car for its vin number and title, and swap it with a car that is in much better shape? You can get a sunroof cut into it, and whatever else it needs to make it a "Hertz G".

I know this is frowned on, and I'm not trying to suggest someone do something unethical or illegal. However, How much of the original car must be used in the new car to make it a legitimate rebuild? This car looks like it needs everything. I don't see the difference between rebuilding the car around the VIN, or putting the VIN in a rebuilt car. Is there an official answer to this question?
To make a "wise investment" it would probably be a good idea to figure out what the car would/could be worth/valued after it's restored. If that's even possible. Then figure out how much time and money it's going to cost to restore it. Maybe it's a losing proposition at this point unless the "hottie" is included with the deal.

·
Registered
292 Posts
To make a "wise investment" it would probably be a good idea to figure out what the car would/could be worth/valued after it's restored. If that's even possible. Then figure out how much time and money it's going to cost to restore it. Maybe it's a losing proposition at this point unless the "hottie" is included with the deal.
HAHA! I have to say that for me, it's just the opposite. The "hottie" would have to stay with the car owner. At least until I get all my shots.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Why is everyone so harsh on the "hottie". She looks period correct for the vintage of the car except for that thing growing on the side of her body. Otherwise she looks ok to me.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts