Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few threads about cowl leaks and think that's what I have on my 67 but want to double check. When it rains hard both driver's side and passenger's side carpets are wet. I bought the plexiglass spring cover from WCCC hoping this would fix it but it was still wet (although less) after a rain. I could never tell where it was coming from inside until yesterday when I was driving it and we got a heavy downpour and I could finally see that the water was running down the outside of the kick panels onto the carpet. Is this where a leaking cowl would let water in? I'm going to get up under there to see if I can see where it's coming in but figured any info I could get before taking things apart would help. Thanks.

Ben

·
Registered
103 Posts
Could be that or the windshield leaking in the lower corners. You could always wait till the car is dry and close it up, spray it down and see where the water is coming from. Also, spray inside the cowl vents and see if it leaks. If it does when you spray into the cowl it could be a rusty cowl.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Yeah, a cup of water and some investigating is in order....it's probably the cowl, but we always hope it's not! The covers only help to a degree

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
A good cowl test is to wait for dry weather, then use a soda bottle or cup and pour water directly into the cowl. If the water runs inside, the cowl is leaking. This test will eliminate the windshield as a possible source of the leak. I usually use a 2-liter soda bottle for the test because that makes any leakage very obvious.

·
Registered
291 Posts
A fog machine will help as well. Fill the cabin with fog and you should be able to find the leak That is how I found the leak in mine. Although water works easier but I counld't find mine with water

·
Registered
439 Posts
I see that you have a 69 Cougar. You have a removeable cowl, you could pull the top of it off and get a better look to see what is going on.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Don't worry Barney they say it's only gonna last about 10 more years.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
A fog machine will help as well. Fill the cabin with fog and you should be able to find the leak That is how I found the leak in mine. Although water works easier but I counld't find mine with water

LOL - cool idea! Just when I though the kid buying a fog machine was a total waste of money!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 67 now but am having trouble updating my signature. I tried pouring water but didn't use enough to see any leaks. I ran out of daylight and of course it rained all day here so I'll have to try again this week. I'll be doing the 2 liter bottle down the cowl next. Thanks for the ideas!

Ben

1 - 10 of 10 Posts