Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherited a (non-running) '58 Ford and was told that the engine was a 428 Cobra Jet from a '67 or '68 Cougar. Can anyone confirm this from the attached pic, or otherwise shed some light on this for me?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,106 Posts
My first thought is to say no, how ever the picture does not show what is needed to tell for sure. Find the casting numbers on the intake, should start with C8OE I think and them the heads have the casting numbers in between the center 2 cylinder exhaust ports. I think the number you need is C8OE-N. My thought on not being a CJ is the exhaust manifolds look to be passenger car ones. But they could be and it still could be a CJ. Fine the numbers, post them here and we will look them up and let you know what they are. Good luck.

P. S. Post some pictures of the car. I like 57/58 Fords.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Thermactor stuff is a good sign perhaps?

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
I inherited a (non-running) '58 Ford and was told that the engine was a 428 Cobra Jet from a '67 or '68 Cougar. Can anyone confirm this from the attached pic, or otherwise shed some light on this for me?
No CJ made in 68, only a few in 68 so most likely it is a 68 390. If it is a 68 1/2 CJ you have a very valuable piece indeed!

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Looks more like an ashtray (heh heh)

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would say the intake is a 428CJ. Notice the carburator mounting surface and the very large #1 cylinder intake runner. A 390 intake would have much much smaller intake runners. I have four of these manifolds and the part number should be right behind the carburator mounting surface. It should read C80E-9425-C. Check out this website for other help in identifiying the rest of the engine. http://www.428cobrajet.org/id-main.html

·
Premium Member
6,521 Posts
Look at this video to determine where the VIN stamp is on your motor. If the 1968 1/2 Mustang or Cougar is still around we may be able to find the car and... The owner of said car could be willing to pay handsomely to get it! Kind of a long shot but you never know!

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
When I pulled my engine from a 66 thunderbird it was supposed to be a 428 turned out to be a 1970 428CJ...The intake and exhaust manifolds were from a 66 but the heads and block were all CJ...Good luck ....Interesting what Don said on vin # that orginal owner might be looking for his engine I would be courious if the car that belonged to my engine is still around was a Mustang..how would I find that out?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
When I pulled my engine from a 66 thunderbird it was supposed to be a 428 turned out to be a 1970 428CJ...The intake and exhaust manifolds were from a 66 but the heads and block were all CJ...Good luck ....Interesting what Don said on vin # that orginal owner might be looking for his engine I would be courious if the car that belonged to my engine is still around was a Mustang..how would I find that out?
Yes, Mustang 428 Cobra Jet Registry. You would need to register to post, but you could search the vin number to find out if anyone has posted anything on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: I could only manage to find a couple numbers on the intake manifold. C8OE-9425-A. The code for the date is 8029 (i think. it was tough to read). I went to 428cobrajet.org and it sounds like the early cobrajets sometimes ended in "A" (most commonly "C" in the later CJs) as this one does. Perhaps the date code can help determine one way or another. Is this a cobrajet? If not, what exactly is it? Please Help.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Regarding the date code, the "0" could be a "D". If so, then the date code breaks down for year, month & day for 8-1968, D-Month of April & 29-29th day. John

·
11,000 Posts
All the parts shown in the picture are used on both the 1968 - 69 428CJ and the 1968 428PI engines. The casting number indicates an early intake manifold. The date code is likely 8C29 March 29, 1968.

The cylinder head casting number is located between the spark plugs at the center of the outboard edge. C80E 6090-N is the casting number used in the 428CJ engine. It looks like this:

On the other hand it could be a 1968 - 69 428 police engine which used the same intake and thermactor smog system. If that was the case the cylinder heads will be the low performance version marked C8AE 6090-H or C8AE-H like this:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts