Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Auto.com has another story about future Mercury products, not a lot of concrete information, but it's an interesting article. I wonder if the new showcar for the Detroit Auto Show will be a Cougar?
Here's the link to the article:http://www.auto.com/industry/merky3_20020803.htm

·
Registered
209 Posts
As much as I like the idea, I hate the way U.S. automaker politics drives things...

For example, if there WAS an AWD Cougar, what would this do to Mustang and T-Bird sales ??

I had a roommate whos brother was an engineer at Ford back in the eighties, when the Ford Tortoise was still king. I told him (one CAR guy to another) that they could sell LOTS more if they offered AWD on the Taurus, ala Audi. Maybe call it the "All-SHO"...

Don't know if he ever brought it up to anyone else there; shortly after this he left to design toys somewhere...

We can only hope that part of Ford's stratagy to resusitate Mercury will be to give it autonomy...

...and in the words of my friends down under, "not bloody likely !".

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
The next generation of Ford RWD platforms is being engineered for AWD by Ford Australia. Cross-over versions of the Falcon sedan/wagon will be available next year. Marketing is said to be like Audi, Subaru approach with AWD an upmarket option,

The same platform is going under Mustang, Falcon, Lincoln LS, Jag S-Type and LWB versions

They can do a AWD version of the current Cougar (RIP) as the Mondeo, Cougar and Jag X-Type all share the same platform which is already available in AWD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts