Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got my 72' xr7 with the 351C and on the dash it says about 16,000 but im pretty positive it rolled over and the closest i can figure on old papers was 150,000 miles on the car , well im in between as far as how much longer to keep the car but i have plans on restoring the rest of the car

Im wondering is it worth it to rebuild the engine of my car , overtime all those years not sure if there would be any scoring or anything on the cylinders walls, im just trying to figure is it worth it to do a complete rebuild , i see some full kits ranging about $500 with it bored to standerd size

I know i have some issues with the car as far as shaking ect but that could just be due to vacuum leaks , and i was thinking when i sell the car eventually it would probably help a bit saying the engine was rebuild and having actual low miles on the engine

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
You never get your money back out of a motor......ever. Better off just to make sure it's running good and smooth. Especially if your planning to sell. You can run a comnpression test to guage what kind of shape it's in though. If you decide to keep it, and you know you got weak cylinder or 2 then you can spend the time/money on a rebuild. Keep in mind the kit doesn't include the expenses that really eat up your $ (machine/labor). Also you will want to pull it apart before purchasing a kit anyway - in case you need to go oversize....

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ill probably be keeping it for a while , unless problems occur as far as storage ect but i got plans of restoring other parts

As far as the engine i didnt know if it was worth it or something because when the day comes that i would sell it i thought it would help saying and having document proof stating the engine was rebuilt in 2011 , unless i do a partial rebuild replacing all the gaskets , it runs pretty good now so of course i didnt wanna go crazy but for the fact that it has alot of miles on the car thats why i thought about the rebuild

1 - 3 of 3 Posts