Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or are all of the cougar's past the year 1970 unusually large with goofy looking grilles and the like. By the way I own a 1970 cougar with a 351 cleveland and yes it is a convertible.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
They did get larger in 1971 and more so in 1974, true. The grill was larger in 71-72, but it got a smaller mini Mark III grill later. It was a matter of marketing, by 1974 muscle/pony cars weren't selling, mid-size luxury cars were. The Monte Carlo, Cordoba, Cougar, Elite and Grand Prix were all pseudo luxury cars. All were similar in size and appointments. All lacked the performance of only a few years before, so they slathered on more fake wood, opera windows, vinyl tops and velour interiors. All had some variation of a "neo-classical" grill.

The 71-73 are the last of the "classic" Cougars. They were more luxurious and heavier than their predecessors, but they were still based on the Mustang chassis. They handled well, had decent engines, and had possibly the nicest Cougar interiors.

Tim B

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
My opinion?

I have a 1969 Cougar XR-7 428 CJ conv and a 1971 Continental Mark III.

I talked my dad into getting a new 1974 Grand Torino Elite Brougham: 2 doors, luxury interior, power everything and even a tach! So what if the springs were made of marshmellows and the steering was by Slinky? It was nice then and they sold a lot of them.

I've been to too many car shows and been on too many internet boards to call anybody's pride and joy UGLY!

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
364 Posts
tim gets a gold star for diplomacy...

chard gets a black star for not recognizing the incomparable beauty of the 73 cougar xr-7. (someone else can get ya for the 71 and 72.)

the difference, in addition to what tim noted, is that the seventies weren't the sixties. go back and look at any models in the late 20s and early 30s, late 40s and early 50s, etc. it seems that when the calendar changes decades, cars change shape. the cougar went from being a muscle car in the sixties, to a class car in the seventies - til they screwed it up in 74 of course.

for those of us who owned a 70s cougar when they were new, they are preferred to sixties cougars. if i was to buy a sixties car (sorry club fans) it'd be a chevy - 69 camaro or 63 impala.

it's all a matter of taste.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Regarding your 73 Cat I wasn't being diplomatic. I like it. The later Cougars got too far away from the original compact luxury theme. Even then I can appreciate ANY well maintained or restored collectible car.........even a Chebby. :)

Tim B

·
Registered
406 Posts
Re: tim gets a gold star for diplomacy...

73XR-7owner said:
it's all a matter of taste.
How true- I had a 70 Cougar. I like the look of my 68 better though. Personally I like the smallness of the first two years. I would say that my favorite year for the cougar is 1969. I believe they had the best looking grills and bodies. - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
WOO HOOOOO!!!!!!! i have a 69, does that mean i kick ass?

·
Registered
406 Posts
sixt9coug said:
does that mean i kick ass?
...yes it does!!

Wasn't 69 the best year for all cars though??? 69 camaro is regarded as the best camaro almost undisputedly - I almost bought a 69 mustang. 69 Nova SS <- I want one. 1969 was a great year in automotive history. 67 was good too though because all the great cars came out that year. I think we all know which one in particular I'm talkin about... - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
69--- ZL-1 COPO SS396 BOSS MACH1 SHELBY HEMI 440/6 RAM AIR IV HURST ELIMINATOR XR7 Drag Pack 4.30s as an option on a car! AMC made something remotely interesting SCJ and thats only some of the good stuff

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Watch out if you ever line up against one of those 69 390, go pack AMX's. You will find out what remotely interesting really means. Very underestimated they were. Those things were light and would fly. mm

·
Registered
197 Posts
oh really fool?

Well, well, well you think your a big man huh, Chard ? I got a 72 and I really would like to disagree with you. Now you can gloat all you want about your little 70 but when you diss someone else's car type your just looking for trouble. Try thinking before you post next time.
P.S. My 351 can beat up your 351. :p
Kyle

·
Registered
519 Posts
1967 to 1973 Classics

I think this says it all.

Those 7 years are some of the finest in automotive history! The latter half of those years saw a slow steady decline in factory horse power while at the same time most of the cars that ruled the streets in the late sixties were getting longer and larger year by year especially the Ford/Mercury cars.

None of that really matters anymore because when I'm on the streets in my '68 I have something very rare and very special to me and when I see another Cougar I usually wave or wave back. :) I love it when I'm driving along and somebody in another classic pulls up beside me just to show that they also enjoy the classics as much as I do, well except for the guys who drive big scary Chevelles, you know the type!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but appreciation runs much deeper. :cool:

And about that *remotely interesting* AMX... Here what my buddy Tom had to say about it. :D The 1969 AMC SS Hurst AMX

·
Registered
364 Posts
yo, evilmess...

i wanted read what your buddy said, but the link was a bunch of gobbledygook on my screen. might be one of those IE-only sites?

i hate IE...

whatever he said there, the AMX was definitely one hell of a rocketship. shame it was made by AMC or it would have got more respect.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Math check

Evilmess,

Hmmmm, 67-73. I count seven years in there. :p

(All in good fun)
Cougrrcj

·
Registered
15 Posts
I personally like the style/shape of the 74-76`s. While these may be larger than the originals,they`re also more luxurious. 460 power was available as an option,and building one up without the smog equipment,and using earlier(429)heads make it a capable performer. I find this post quite simular to how the Chevy people react to the Chevelle. You have the 64-72 people,and the 73-77 people. Neither have anything good to say about each others cars!

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
We're Cougar people right? We don't drive ubiquitous Mustangs or follow the typical Bow Tie crowd. To define which Cougar is 'best' or 'worst' is pointless. We all think our children are the best! There are some great Cougars of nearly all years. IMHO Cougars were always better than the competition: better styling, better interiors, better features, better performance. (This is a Cougar group so I CAN say that here, it would NOT be appropriate to say that at a Mustang or Camaro site.........that's called 'flaming' BTW) It's great to be proud of your car, but not at the expense of someone elses pride and joy.

If your ego really thinks your cat is the best, take it to a Cougar show and have it judged! No whining! Volunteer to judge too. It's a humbling and educational experience.

Like my Mama used to say;"If you can't say anything good about someone, don't say anything at all." Silence can be deafening :)

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

·
Registered
364 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
evilmess,

I bit the bullet and started IE to read the article. It pretty much says it all. Take one sleeper, add a Hurst, mix well, and ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts