Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to ask a really dumb question, but to any of you who saw my post "Idiots guide to engines", could you tell me if its a Cleveland. I am pretty sure it is, but.............:confused:

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
if the water hose enters the engine through the intake manifold it is a windsor if it enters the block below the manifold it is a cleveland

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Even easier.... If the top radiator enters the engine horizontally it's a windsor... If it is vertical... it's a cleveland

Don

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, will check it out in the morning.

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
Don Why are you inside reading these post shouldn't you be outside enjoying tiffany? To nice a day to be in front of the old computer me i got no choice you know since im protecting america and all.:D :D :D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Picture

Does this picture help at all, completely forgot to look at the engine today, was too busy trying to find little holes on the side.
Otherwise I have a pic of the carb, without the airfilter if that would be better, but it does'nt show the big radiotor pipe.

Looks like it goes straight into the block.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks CC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've got a Cleveland on mine... but I'm in the same boat. I don't have a clue. A few buddies have seen her, and they tell me "Yep, it's a Cleveland" :D

So guess what? We got Clevelands, LOL.

Sly

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sly

Well, at least now when we have to order parts we can what engine its for, you're in Canada, right, so you have a bit of a problem, but me, I got a major problem, I'm a continent away.

Cleveland rules:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just one more note cats - You can tell it's a Cleveland by looking at the valve covers. If you have 8 bolts holding the covers it's a Cleveland if you have 6 bolts it's a Win. FYI...

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sly

I think they first thing they will ask for is money and/or credit card number, :)
There are a few places here [SA] that deal with USA V8's and they get weekly shipments but after they have added on their bit it starts to get even more expensive, and then I still have to get if from them to me, no-one in our town does it.

Codenamecougar, thanks for the FYI, thats interesting, going to check it out on Monday. {Or I could look at the photo again}:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Valve cover engine ID

This is one of the easiest ways to figure out what engine family you're looking at.

5 bolts - FE big block. 352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428 in addition to the medium duty truck engines
6 bolts - Windsor small block. 221, 255, 260, 289, 302, 351W
7 bolts - Big Block. 429, 460
8 bolts - Cleveland. 351C, 351M, 400

Now that you've determined the engine family, there are other clues to determine which engine in that family you have.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thks Cougrrcj [I don't know your name]
Okay so I have a Cleveland, now whats a 351C and a 351M?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
the way i tell a 351M from a 351C is to look at where the thermostat housing attaches to the block. because of the taller deck height on the 351/400M the housing sits slightly higher on the block. if you look at a 351C it sits flush on the block. the 351M has like a slight "mound" it sits on. almost an inch rise. this is how i tell when im out at the junkyards searching for a "real" Cleveland. if anyone has a pic im sure it would be helpful. .....

·
Registered
197 Posts
I dont think M's were offered in 72-73. I am sure of 3 351's. The 2V 351 Cleveland, the 4v 351 HO (72 only), and the 351 CJ (73 and on). The 2v's were the base engines and the 4v's were optional.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If I recollect there was an H somewhere in my engine or vin no, which should mean its a code 'H' which is Cleveland 351c 2V.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
H engine code

Actually, the 'H' engine code can be any 351-2V. Why Ford did that is anyone's guess. That means it can be a 351W, 351C or 351M.

The 351W is a 'tall block' version of the normal windsor small block. That increase in deck height was necessary for the longer stroke of the 351.

The 351C was designed as a 351, so the deck height is just fine. The problem was when Ford decided that they needed a 400 for 1972. The 351C deck height was too short to accomodate the stroke of the 400 so they stretched the deck height for the 400. Along about 1975, Ford decided that they didn't want two different deck heights for the same engine family so they standardized on the taller 400 height, but destroked it for the 351M. All factory 351M/400s were 2-barrel motors. The short deck 351C was killed off. Thus, 351Cs were only produced for five years, 1970-1974.

As sixt9coug noted, there are exterior clues to tell a 351C from a 351M/400. The 351M/400 was only produced for a few more years until Ford was done downsizing the 'big' cars. I believe the last use of the 351M/400 in cars was the 1979 T-bird/Cougar/LTD2. Ten years total for the Cleveland engine family.

The 351W lived on and, as far as I know, was last available in 1997 in full size trucks and vans. That means the 351W was produced for much, much longer than any of the Cleveland engine family.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Cougrrcj. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts