Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm Pontiac Ed and I have been in the car hobby since 1975, back when they were just used cars. I've never been without some old car and more often than not had 2 or more, most of them 1960's Pontiacs with a few oddballs mixed in. I am a long time Cougar fan but I haven't owned one since the summer of 1988. I attached a couple scans of old pictures of my Cougars. They're not the best, heck they were taken with a 110 Instamatic camera more than 30 years ago.

My first car was the Dark Ivy Green 1969 XR7 hardtop. I bought it as a stone stock, 39k mile, 6 year old car before I turned 16. It was a 351W 2bbl, AT, 3.00 open rear end, PS, PB, AC, AM Radio and cloth interior. As you can imagine I hot rodded it. I never changed the gear while i had it, so it was really much better suited to 30 mph rolls. I kept it until August of 1978...

Then I found a 1970 Competition Yellow Eliminator. I bought it all but stone stock with 43k miles and sold my '69 to my best friend. It was a 428 CJ Ram Air, AT, 3.25 open rear end, PS, PB, Am 8 Track and the basic interior. I didn't do as much to it, but I didn't need to. It was a beast. It got the wheels in the pic a few months after I bought it and a couple years out it got a cam and headers. I kept it stored from the fal of 1980 until I finished college and then brought it home. I started to restore it but it was hard to do living in an apartment with it at the parent's house. I bought another old car to drive and I was enjoying that when somebody came along with an interesting car he wanted to trade me for it and simulataneaously a unsolicted buyer appeared for the Eliminator. So in July or so of 1988 I traded the other car, sold the Eliminator and bought our first house. It seemed like the right thing to do back then.

So since then, I've been pondering getting another Cougar but not finding the right car or getting second thoughts about selling one of my current cars and backing out when I did find the right car. I'm still thinking about getting another Cougar, both of mine were great cars, hamstrung my youthful lack of funds. Maybe this time.

Attachments

·
Registered
992 Posts
Wow welcome Pontiac Ed! Thanks for sharing your stories and the great vintage pics of your previous Cougars, I love to see the old photographs of these cars in their prime and hear the stories from real owners back then (I was only 1 yrs old when you got your 1st Cougar!). Man 2 great examples. I bet the wheels on your eliminator alone are worth a fortune today. How was the stage of rust in your Cougars at the young age of 6 in Chicago area weather? I heard my grandfathers 69 which he had since new was already getting patchwork on the rear quarters in the mid 1970's (yikes!). I do know that our Cougars didn't have any paint at all in the lower inside corners of the doors and rear quarters so whatever the sound deadener didn't cover was already starting to rust on the dealer lots! What other mods did you do to the 69? looks like you had centerlines on the rear and factory wheels on the front.

Kevin

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow welcome Pontiac Ed! Thanks for sharing your stories and the great vintage pics of your previous Cougars, I love to see the old photographs of these cars in their prime and hear the stories from real owners back then (I was only 1 yrs old when you got your 1st Cougar!). Man 2 great examples. I bet the wheels on your eliminator alone are worth a fortune today. How was the stage of rust in your Cougars at the young age of 6 in Chicago area weather? I heard my grandfathers 69 which he had since new was already getting patchwork on the rear quarters in the mid 1970's (yikes!). I do know that our Cougars didn't have any paint at all in the lower inside corners of the doors and rear quarters so whatever the sound deadener didn't cover was already starting to rust on the dealer lots! What other mods did you do to the 69? looks like you had centerlines on the rear and factory wheels on the front.

Kevin
The '69 was rust free when I got it, but it was a little rusty a year or so later. The tin worm struck both fenders and both quarters. I fixed it all and it didn't come back. As soon as I turned 18 I bought a winter beater, so the Eliminator never saw salt or snow.

The wheels on the '69 were a set of ET brand cast Centerline look-a-likes. I had a full set but I only put them on as I could afford tires. It had stock hubcaps to start. I put on those Mustang GT wheels before I found the ET's. I actually saved the GT wheel center caps from a Torino that was about to be destroyed with sledgehammers at a local carnival.

The '69's 351W got headers, then an Offy Dual Port intake (the only A/M intake for the 351W in 1976) a Holley 600 4bbl, then a mild cam, freshened heads and some M/T valve covers. The FMX got a shift kit. I should have changed the rear gear. I sold the car to my best friend and we put a 4.11 in it and it was a beast. He kept it for a few years, he would let me drive it sometimes when he found a race. Somewhere on the south side of Chicago there is a guy who used to own a modified L78 375hp 4 speed '69 Chevelle SS who couldn't figure out how that small block Ford beat him.

:evil:

I bought the wheels for the Eliminator over the first winter I had it while it sat in Grandma's garage. Those are only 14x7 American 200S, which I bought because Torque Thrust D's were no longer available. I still have those wheels and I just might put them on my next Cougar.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts