Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, on my 73 the steering wheel has the rim horn, it seems to work the first time but not after that, i press the rim and I hear a relay click but no horn. Any suggestions?:smoke:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Is it really a relay or just the contacts clicking you hear? Could be that your horn itself is not getting good contact, or that section of the rim has an issue....how about trying it equally around the rim..? I'd try cleaning /grounding the horn end and it's contacts for starters. Maybe a 73 does have a relay..? But if it doesn't adding one will ensure it gets plenty of juice. Does anybody use thier horn much anyway? I can't remember the last time I did honestly?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes i've tried equaly around the steering wheel, my first thought was bad portion of the rim blow but it doesnt work at any point. I'm not sure if its a relay or contacts, its a click sound when i press the rim blow. I had to start using the steering wheel horn Bad69 cause the judge said if I used the chrome horn one more time I was going to be a guest of the state for awhile whatever that meant :1poke:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
LOL - well once ought to be good enough.....err, wait a minute, I know there's a funny in there - but if we are in mixed company - I better be good!! (teeeheee, he said "rim blow")

See what happens with the clean contacts/ground

·
Registered
223 Posts
If you always hear the relay click your wheel is OK. The next step would be to check for a bad relay, wiring including grounds and the horns.

Bill

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks WW i thought I was never going to get an answer after Bad69 went off track on the easy ones :1poke:I broke out the schematics last night going for the "check the connections/grounds/ect" advice but got interupted by work. I'll get back into it and raise the hood this weekend :smoke:

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I agree with WW. Pull the relay (if possible) and try reseating it. Check the relay prongs for corrosion and hit them gently with emory(sp?) cloth or fine sandpaper.
Check the wires on the backside of where the relay plugs in. Look for loose or corroded wire connections.

If you can open up the relay, you might be able to check / clean the contacts inside. That can be kinda tricky though :-/

Ok, you probably know all that junk already, so I'll stop now...

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all, I checked the schematics and it looks like there is only the horn switch and the horns so I will be checking / cleaning the contacts and checking the connections. I always appreciate the intermittant problems, so much fun. :smoke:

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
While your at it - use some no-ox or such thing on the connectors and on body/ground points. It's a habit I got into fixing bike problems and it keeps those headaches from re-occuring. Found some stuff that also has ground copper in it - awesome! (electric supply store)

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok finaly got some time put aside to check for the problem, well there is no relay/switch like the schematics said but what I heard and what I thought was a relay trying to engage was actually the horns trying to activate. Now the weird thing is if I unplug either horn the other works but when both are plugged in they only try and there is no horn. Any thoughts?:smoke:

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ok finaly got some time put aside to check for the problem, well there is no relay/switch like the schematics said but what I heard and what I thought was a relay trying to engage was actually the horns trying to activate. Now the weird thing is if I unplug either horn the other works but when both are plugged in they only try and there is no horn. Any thoughts?:smoke:
I can't believe there is no relay. Horns draw more power than the switch/brush/slip ring can handle.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Take a hot wire direct from bat + to the horn connector - you should jump about 10 ft if it's working! Loudest it's ever been. If that proves a good horn then start working your way back to the switch....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts