Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I got a hold of a '69 dashpad to replace my (craked) '70. Its in good (uncracked) Shape and the same color but faded. Just looking for a little help. Any thoughts on a good cleaner\restorer\or dye? also, I've never attempted this before, So whats the difficulty level on the removal of the old, and Install of the new?
-Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey jebbster ,
Hit the wrong key I wasn't done.
I was'nt lucky enough to find one the same color so I got some prep and dye from John's Cougars in Mich. The stuff worked great and is very forgiving. It looks great and matches very good.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Just make sure you use a GOOD wax and grease remover on the dash and get it spotless before you dye it. If it's still dirty, the dye wont last.

Rick

I did my buddies Buick GS, from brown to black, turned out awesome, just make sure its clean.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
make sure its clean, i really dont reccomend laquer thinner, as its very aggressive. but use something. i also reccommend adhesion promotor. its available at most any auto paint store, its made to make paint stick to plastic parts. while you are there, get some wax and grease remover, they have the good stuff. ( most of it is similar to mineral spirits, so those will work too ) as far as a spray bomb, i dont know if it will work, seeing as the dash will flex, and over time that can make it crack. there are about a billion other ways to do this, with different kinds of paint, but the vinyl dye is probably the best bet . good luck and have fun.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts