Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched but not positive on the direction of door panel restoration. I am curious to know how you have either cleaned, or redyed the panels to look as new. The 67-68's are not reproduced so I am certain there are good tips to making these look new again. Lets hear what you have done to restore your door/interior panels. Thanks

·
Registered
152 Posts
Mr. Clean magic eraser. Its a little sponge that you lightly wetten and just rub away. Try a part of the back side to make sure it works on your color. It worked wonders with my saddle.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I thoroughly cleaned mine, with soap then a degreaser. Then I used an interior adhesion promotor, then just dyed them (painted) it worked marvelously.

·
Registered
391 Posts
These are all great ways to clean your interior parts. But, if you redye them, there are certain colors of original vinyl that a "parchment paper" look to them, such as the parchment (off white) color on the '67s. If you redye over that you will lose this look.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If your only problem is discoloration, then SEM Interior Paint is the way to go. I tested this product on my kick panels, before going for the door panels, and was very impressed. I would suggest removing the door panel to do this instead of trying to paint it while it's on. I did a thorough cleaning using Simple Green, a sponge with a blue scrub pad and a tooth brush. There is also a SEM Plastic and Leather Prep, which is basically a cleaner you spray on and wipe off, which will show you how clean you got the area to be painted especially if you wipe it off with a white towel. Here's the results I posted of my door panels I did not too long ago. They still look great! http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?59558-Interior-Door-Panel-Painting-Tips-amp-Opinions As far as holes and rips, luckily I didn't have any, and can't help you in that area. GOOD LUCK!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts