Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know how to get the button off without destroying my new to me windsheild .

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Pretend you want it to stay right where it is and it will then fall right off! :buck:

Seriously though, I know of no way to remove one that is on as well as it should be without damaging the glass. I tried to shear off the ball on a cracked WS in my parts car and pieces of the glass came with it (as well as cracking the glass further). Maybe someone else will have some tech for you.

Regards,

Bob

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
I had to get my rearview mount off when I swapped to a different mirror. I used an old hair dryer I keep in the shop to heat up and carefully soften the glue while gently chiseling the glue with a razorblade scraper.

I used laquer thinner to remove the rest of the glue once it was off.

Disclaimer: There is no guarantee that this method will work for you. I'm only reporting that it worked for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My grandad owned a junk yard in the 70's, they used to pop them off with Acetone. He would lay them down so the acetone would puddle around the mount and let them sit

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys! i have auto dim mirror i am going to use in the cat. ill give the latter 2 a shot . not quite redy but close, i want to get it off while the glass is out

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Try what trickcat said, it is the easiest way. Laquer thinner would be best. Also may want to let it sit in the sun to warm up.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so its off! what worked, i soaked in laquer thinner and tryed to get it off , to no avial. but i am sure it did loosen it up, i didnt have any acetone. so after that failed, i grabed my butane torch and just went around the outside of it on the outside of the glass, and with a razor it poped right off! (my heat gun was mia) but thank you! reataching will be much easier!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts