Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, all I asked Santa for was headers. No jewelry, no perfume, just headers. And I must have been good, because I got them. So that single alteration moved me off of the "keep it original/make it mine" fence I was on.

I am a saddlemaker. My interior needs to be all leather, custom tooled and made by me. Assume for the sake of argument that I'm good at what I do, as far as leatherwork goes.

Since I want to do this right the first time, I'm asking for help before I jump into this. Can anyone reccomend books, videos, blogs, threads...? Custom cougar interior for dummies?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Being a SADDLE MAKER, I can't imagine you will have a tough time with this. I would think you will find LOTS of info for the basics, and get you headed in the right direction. I have done some door cards in the past, but NEVER seats, or headliner.

Maybe a member here has info on a book, but one on the Cougar may be a tad different story.

I wish you well, and can't wait to see some PICTURES, I have read that pictures are MOST WELCOME on this site. LOL

Dale in Indy

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I will also put a word in for some pictures. Once you get the basics you need, the finishing touches a real saddlemaker can make with leather will be awsome.

so, Go ahead, make it yours

Jean

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ranchroo, A little off subject but not much, What made you decide to step away from stock or factory original? I am having a delema right now trying to figure If I want to take a car to concourse or modify it a bit. I want the original look but know there is much I could do to the car in regards to horsepower. The cosmetics or general appearance of the car is the reason I just had to have another one so cosmetically I know I want the original look. Horsepower wise I don't know?

·
Premium Member
6,980 Posts
I would keep it fairly toned down. I would look at the Pony interiors of the 1st generation Mustangs for some inspiration.

You indicate that you have a 1967 standard Cougar. That opens up the dash face, could be some cool ideas there.
Look at the XR7 map pocket on the door panels for those years, two different patterns to consider for ideas.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
A saddler making automotive upholstery - I see endless good possibilities here.
In the past, I've seen the old upholstery 'disassembled' and used as a pattern for cutting/stitching the new. My mom even did this on our living room couch and chairs back when I was a kid. (She banged it all out on the 1938 Singer her Dad bought for her when she was 16 - she didn't want to damage either of her fancy "seamstress machines" stitching the heavey old Herculon)

As for any customization, maybe the "Cougar" script, or a Walking Cat on the seatbacks?

Lastly; would you be interested in any repair jobs? I need to pull the right front seat upholstery off my F150; get the bottom restitched and a ripped panel in the seatback replaced. Matching the dye could be a pain, and my Mom's fantastic sewing ability (as well as the Singer) was DEFINITELY not passed down to me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts