Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. Im the proud new owner of a 68 Cougar. I got the Marti report in and havethe first of what Im sure will be many questions. "Parchment interior with ivy gold appointments" looks like what exactly? I know the two colors. But what parts are parchment and what is colored ivy gold? The interiortwo is ciurrently black andIS with thethe exception ofof the carpettwo and headliner, in prettythe good shape. Can theyou colored dyesivy and paintthe cover the black? Do thety make parchmentthe paint? It hadto its ownthe texture didnt it? I guessgot that moreI than onewe question. Any and all help is appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mustangs Unlimited has a 67-73 Cougar catalog and they have the parchment die in it. I used it on my original parchment panels and they turned out great. I don't know how well it would work trying to cover black though. If they are the original door skins
replacing them could be difficult. I did see on John's Classic Cougars site a pair he was selling in parchment for the base/standard
interior.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im located in Austin area in Texas.
What items should be parchment and which ones Ivy Gold?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Everything should be parchment except the dash pad, carpet, and package tray. And, of course, the seat belts.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mine has a blue dash pad and package tray and parchment knee pad.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses. According to Marti Report. This car had the "decore" group. Does that mean anything about interior color? Steering wheel, seat belts, etc.?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have a black interior, even the roof lining is black, drivers seat needs work, seat bottom has a 6" split and more splits in the seat starting, also seat springs have a a bad squeak. But I love the black, won't be changing mine!

·
Registered
391 Posts
With respect to the fascia pad: this gets kind of complicated for '68 standard cars. If the car had the decor interior, it should be parchment vinyl with the "race track" embossing. If the car had the standard interior, they were all supposed to be black camera case finish vinyl without any "race track", but I have seen and owned cars that did not conform to these rules. And, if it's an early '68 car equipped with a knee pad, that should be the same color as the lower dash, i.e., parchment on a non-XR-7.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Mercury6768: I've seen the term "camera case" twice now since joining this forum but for the life of me I don't know what it refers to. Help me out.

·
Registered
207 Posts
As past owner of a 67 and current owner of a 68 with standard interiors, now I get it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So are the painted areas like the glove box suppose to be parchment or black or ivy gold ? How about all the trim like the windlace? Headliner would be parchment, ivy gold, ore other? Again this is the decor interior?

·
Registered
391 Posts
The painted areas like the glove box door is supposed to be parchment, unless it's an XR-7, which would be black. All of the trim like the windlace, headliner, window crank knobs, etc. would be parchment. Again, EVERYTHING would be parchment except the dash pad, carpet, and package tray. The seat belts would be black unless the deluxe belts were ordered, in which case they would be ivy gold.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hello. Im the proud new owner of a 68 Cougar. I got the Marti report in and havethe first of what Im sure will be many questions. "Parchment interior with ivy gold appointments" looks like what exactly? I know the two colors. But what parts are parchment and what is colored ivy gold? The interiortwo is ciurrently black andIS with thethe exception ofof the carpettwo and headliner, in prettythe good shape. Can theyou colored dyesivy and paintthe cover the black? Do thety make parchmentthe paint? It hadto its ownthe texture didnt it? I guessgot that moreI than onewe question. Any and all help is appreciated.
typin while drunk or just while driving? :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the info. Someone went to a lot of trouble to make this interior black, but judging by the condition of the softer stuff, it had to be a long while back. Would have sworn a lot of it had to be original, but back to parchment it will go. Thanks again.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good luck, I'm sure you'll enjoy the parchment. I had a '67 standard with white/parchment interior and did enjoy it, partially just because you rarely seen them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts