Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a good interior dye for vinyl console, door panels, kick panels and something for the steering wheel (the hard part) The interior is parchment. I saw it in the Mustangs Unlimited catalog but I am thinking that might be a little steep.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've used the Plasti-Kote band from Pep Boys with pretty good results. I know there are some better ones out there but it works good if you clean the part real good first, and it's fairly cheap.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have tried the Plasticoat dye from Pep Boys, its a great product but the color is not exactlly corretct, but i got it very close buy using three different collors. if i had to do it again, i would go with the Cougars Unlimited dye. My dash id drk blue with a bit of metal falke to the vynal. dk blue met flake over spray gave it a similar effect to the plasticoat dye. I have always like plasticoat products.
I am ready to put the dash back in now. the wiring is fixed, it starts with the key now, (Thanks to a schematic).

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I dyed my dashpad and console blue along with some of the small trim. I got my die from Kens Cougars but I can't remember the price, I thought it was fair tough considering it is supposed to be the correct color.
John
wvcat

Attachments

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Looks Great. That is the same color i have, what do they call that color?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've gotten all my interior dye from the local Auto Paint distributor. They're able to match any color out there. It was a little more expensive (abount $12 a pint) But I didn't have to worry about color matching. Just make sure that the vinyl or plastic is CLEAN!! Armor All and the other protectants leave a teflon coating that has to be removed so the dye will penetrate properly. They have special cleaners for this but you could use soap and water or a little alcohol to clean. One more thing, I had a few plastic interior parts that were previously painted. I was told to used Easy Off Oven Cleaner (I used the low odor, cold formula)It removed the paint without damaging the plastic at all. Worked like a charm!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts