Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Cougar XR7
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on doing an interior color change from dark green to black on my 69 XR7, and would interested to know what products you recommend, and any prep tips you might have. I have heard SEM and Leather Magic are good - are there others?

· Registered
28 Posts
It's been a long time since I tried and there are probably better products out there now, but I was disappointed in the stuff I've tried. I'd like to hear if there is something better now. I like your screen name BTW, mine was a rescue as well.

· Registered
1 Posts
SEM worked great on my 68 xr7 i had years ago we went from light blue to dark blue won dozens of 1st place show, held up perfect nobody ever knew unless i told you. just gotta make sure you clean it good then clean it again before spraying.

· Registered
30 Posts
The key to dying plastic, vinyl, etc. is preparation. You have to THOROUGHLY clean the surface of all oils, dirt and contaminants. I use a good automotive grease and wax remover, then way it with water and a mild detergent. let it completely dry for at least a day. Wipe it with the grease and wax remover once more, let dry. Then spray it well with the prep agent which softens it, opens the pores and prepa it for the dye. Once the surface is dry (15-30 mins) spray light coats of dye, slowly building up the color. I use the SEM products and been very happy. Most problems come from failure to clean and prep or spraying too thick.

· Registered
671 Posts
Agreed on SEM interior dye. I've used them on the nugget gold interior of my '69. Color match is perfect and holds up well. As stated above though, it will only turn out as good as your prep work.

· Registered
748 Posts
Another vote for SEM. I've used a lot of interior products that were complete garbage before finally discovering them. I used their paint and prep products on two 71s with excellent results. Use the prep products they sell and you'll be happy with the results.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts