Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Well, I've assembled a mass of interior parts here to get my interior looking good. I need to know though, is it possible to dye black items a lighter color, say parchment? Also, are the xr7 front armrests the same ones used in standard cougars with the decor interior?

Damon Kirk

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, looks great. Fortunately for me I don't need to do the seats. just armrests, door pull straps, console, and maybe a couple other bits. You think the mustangs unlimited stuff would be good for that?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dye

Kirk,
The MU stuff worked great for the hard trim and dashpad. I cannot say how well it would work on the door panels. The stuff From Bryndana worked very well on the door panels and arm rests. If I had to do it over again I would have bryndana custom blend the dye to match the interior. The off the shelf ivory is close but not exactly the same as the 69 white. There is a link on my page to bryndana's web site. Thier product is very expensive, but works like nothing I've ever used. Once I had them covered, my black door panels have not bled through the white.
Paul G.
60 XR7 Convertible

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So will they make it in custom colors. I need it in Parchment. I may use eggshell and re dye everything except the seats if not. Thanks

·
Registered
448 Posts
Dye

Kirk,
Bryndana is s small outfit in PA. It is essentially a "one man show". If you call them and leave a message he will get back to you. The product is very pricey to buy direct, but that is the only way to get custom colors. At the time I bought the dye they offered to color match the dye. But it was more then twice the cost of buying an off shelf color from walmart. If you are only doing the door panels and arm rest it may be worth having it blended to your specific color match. It would have been cheaper for me to recover the seats than to buy custom dye. I plan to recover trhe seats eventually, and I will color the door panels with the correct dye at that time.
Also, plan on using about twice what they recommend for coverage if going from black to parchment. You can get any of bryndana's shelf colors at walmart for about $6 a can. If they don't have the color you want just have them order it. Try it on a small area and see if you like the color match. If it is close enough then just use the shelf color. Also, be very sure to follow the prep instructions carefully, that will ensure a good finish.
Paul G.
69 XR7 Convertible

1 - 6 of 6 Posts