Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The interior door panel on the drivers door of my 68 needs some cosmetic work. Part of the problem is that the upper section is worn to the extent that the grain in the vinyl is gone to the point of being almost smooth. I found another panel but it needs refinished due to wear and discoloration and the plated trim is not very nice. The vinyl is in better shape than my original panel but the plated trim is not.
I have two questions. First, my interior color code is 2B which denotes a two-tone blue interior. The question is what are the two colors and where can I buy the correct dyes? What I really need is only the light blue. Is that the Light Blue Metallic available at the Mustang parts vendors or something else?
My second question is how is the plated trim that runs the width of the panel near the top held on? Is it glued on or does it have metal tabs that are bent over on the back side, similar to a Mustang? If it has tabs I can't see them due to the heavy particle board backing. How do you remove that trim without destroying it or the panel?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have a 68 with the same trim code and am in need of a drivers side door panel because the chrome trim is a mess, the trim can not be removed without destroying the panel, the light blue dye can be bought from most vendors Sems AP-5748

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks towcat. I did some experimenting on the extra panel I bought. Turns out that chrome trim is actually plastic with a thin film that contains the "chrome". On this particular panel that chrome film was chipped and discolored. I was able to peel all of the film off leaving just the bare plastic raised outline that surrounds the dark blue strip. I have some Rustoleum chrome paint and I might try using that to "re-chrome" the raised outline. I'll let you know how that works. It can't look much worse than it did before.

BTW, NPD sells the SEM VP-5748 for $10.25 a can.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I am doing a little exp. on my door panel also. I know what you mean about the chrome film, there is someone that does air-brush and the results looks just like chrome, if I can find him. I said AP which is lacquer, and meant VP for vinyl. Good luck

·
Registered
389 Posts
that rustoleum chrome shiiit aint gonna be nothin but silver paint FYI...there are a few people lately that have started, as above, offering spray on chrome services..and its supposed to look decent. on mine, im probally just going to paint mine black or maybe silver since some of my dash trim is going to be silver now....its a budget build, not concours correct, and im taking some liberties in it so i might as well just use the panels i have and do what i can to make them look nice.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Could just be blowing hot air here...but, I have seen at places like Menards...silver looking aluminum 'duct' tape. If you were very careful in applying it to the strip and get all the air bubbles out...wouldn't that work better than the silver paint??? Just kind of "Red Green" fix.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts