Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Recently painted my Passenger Side Interior Door Panel (Drivers Side is next). I think it came out pretty good. I used SEM paint. As you can see from the picture of the Drivers Side Panel, there was a yellowish-brown stain across the top of the door panel. The rest wasn't so bad, but the stain ruined the whole panel. After taking the panel off, I naturally taped off the darker blue areas (which was a *****). There is a molding across the top that is chrome and also the felt which slides along the window. I thought about taping it, but decided to take it off instead. It's held on by rather heavy duty staples. After painting, I put the molding back on using staples from a staple gun. I put them in by hand, not with the staple gun, in the same holes as the originals and bent the backs. There not as heavy duty as the originals, but worked great. I would have liked to replace this molding since the felt is worn in spots, but couldn't find any replacements. I ordered some replacement pull handles, which only come in the dark blue. I thought about painting them but I'm wondering what everybody thinks. The originals were the same lighter color of the door. Anyway, here's my Passenger Side Interior Door Panels. Hope my little tips help.
IMG_0161[1].jpg IMG_0158[1].jpg IMG_0159[1].jpg IMG_0157[1].jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
That's painted! Good job, that, if not for the chrome trim, looks like a "new" panel. Hope the color remains durable for years to come.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I re-dyed mine too. Your door looks great and there are replacement window felt kits. I bought mine from Mustangs Unlimited
item #CG112. The new kits had different hole locations so I lined them up and drilled new holes and the made my own staples from
galvanized finishing nails. The replacement staples were just too short to install them through the felt, vinyl, and steel and still try to bend them over. When finished they really looked great.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've done my console, kick panels, and dash pad (so far) and they all look great. Can't even tell its painted. I havent read any complaints about its durability, so I'm hoping it lasts. Won't care if it fades again as long as there's no cracking or peeling. That would suck! Guess my next purchase is those felt kits. Hate to take the passenger panel off again, the wood/cardboard is so fragile after all these years. Might just do the drivers side and keep the passenger side on hand in case.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Good job on those panels and in my opinion the contrast with the darker blue looks good!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Very nice job. Looks professional.

I did a 67 Buick Skylark interior, complete many years ago in white and it held up great for the many years that I had seen it after that.

Ron

·
Registered
144 Posts
Kusawa, those look amazing. I know this is an old tread but im looking for the sem dye you used. Do you possibly have a link? I need the same color (light blue)

·
Registered
7 Posts
looks good, i'm thinking about dying my light green to black. hope it turns out as good as yours did.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
They have a pre-treatment that you may want to follow. I think it will ensure you have the best bond possible...... but door panels are the most abused and will need touch ups from time to time......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts