Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, once again I’m questioning my order of projects on my cat. I just recently got an Auto Crafters catalog. WITCH IS AWESOME! Well anyway, my mother was going through it and said, hey why cant you just get one of those upholstery sets and make your seats look nice.

Good idea, but first off, they don’t come in green and I’m trying to get enough money to paint my car, second I know nothing about upholstery. Well it turns out my mom knows quite a bit about upholstery. Then it got me thinking, what would it take to change my interior from green to black.

I know I would have to change the seats, carpet, door panels, console, and dash. Am I missing anything? I have a 68 XR7. Oh yeah, and the metal parts like the glove box door, could that be painted? If yes, with what and how should I go about doing it? Does anyone have any experience in changing their interior color? It would be nice to hear about spots to watch for and maybe some tips.

Jason

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Well,
A lot of those pieces can be dyed black ie: door panels, dash and possibly the arm rests and seats too.
One thing to consider if original, the XR7 seats are Leather.
Reproductions covers are always listed in vinyl.
Ken's Cougars has Correct Leather seat upholstery for over $1000 Ouch!
The door panels and kick panels are not reproduced so you will have to use what you have.
Headliners and carpet kits are reproduced. I also think you can get the arm rest pads in black repo.
Most people convert to black because of the scarcity of colored interior pieces.
What about the steering column?
What color is it?
A lot to consider.
Eastwood or NPD for the vinyl dyes.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
76 Posts
Actually, the kick panels can be ordered from Mustangs Unlimited.

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
Cougar kick panels have tiny little speaker holes
Mustang's kick panels do not.
I don't think they sell Cougar ones, but Mustang ones that will fit a Cougar

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mas info

Well I looked at my steering column today and it looks black. My dash looks black and the metal parts of my dash look grayish/black too. I need to look at them in different light to make sure though. I also discovered that my kick panels are defiantly black.

As for leather Vs vinyl for my seats, I was planing to go with vinyl for now. I’m still pretty young and Ill probably change it later when I actually have a good job and get paid more, but for now vinyl is fine. My boss actually has some experience in this area, and told how I could do some of the work on the door panels. My seats need to be upholstered anyway so I could change them to black easily enough.

I guess my next question is the console around my shifter and radio, can I dye that or do I have to replace it? In addition, I know the carpet can be dyed how hard is it to do or should I just buy a black carpet kit.

Thanks for the help so far. Jason

·
Premium Member
1,915 Posts
The leather/vinyl dilema was just for reference. I know probably 90% of XR7's get re-upholstered in vinyl. You will not be alone.
You can dye most everything.
The carpet I would say buy that new.
If the seats are ok try dyeing those before you spend any money or re-skinning.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've seen aftermarket kick panels that have speaker bezels built into them. They protrude out from the surface unlike the factory ones that are just drilled through the kick panel. I believe they retailed for about $70. You can order mustang kick panels and just spend some time on a drill press creating your own holes...

·
Registered
115 Posts
paint

The metal parts can be painted easily by following these steps.1 use a de greaser to clean the surface . 2 lightly sand dry with 320 grit auto paper [Black wet dry].3 Apply a good white primer .4 Wet sand the white primer with 320 lightly .
5 Mustangs Unlimited has the paint you need in the correct trim code color you seek. 6 Apply the paint in light coats doing a 50% overlay pass .7Once you have covered the surface let it flash and then go again with light coats following the same steps .8 Do at least 5 coats for depth and clarity.Good luck with your project
Mikey:wave:

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
you can repain the plastic interior parts as well, use an interior plastic paint SEM Makes a good one I use Landua Black use a self etching clear primer Bulldog makes one, you can get them at any Auto Body Paint supply place, I changed alot of my interior from Red to black redid almost all plastic and metal pieces.
Good Luck and were always here to help!
Juli :wave:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Wow all this and this thread is 4 1/2 years old.HEHEHE, All good though.:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts