Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mustang and Ford Mag has an Cougar article and I read something I hadn't heard before:

The XR in XR-7 stands for eXperimental Racing.

I just thought that was neat.

I had read previously that the Cougars' name while under development was T-7...Thus: XR-7...

Go figure.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yeah, same feeling here. Best of all:
It was built to be raced!! Heheheh.
Don't see though what features of the xr7 show any sign of the racing thing. Or maybe it's the clockworks?

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Lots of gauges, right? Tachometer is standard, lots of switches in the console look like it's a race car....
Ha!
And don't forget the vinyl top to add weight at the uppermost portion of the car, thus efficiently raising the center of mass, which, as we all know, is the most important single physical feature of a race car..........
(Just so you guys don't bite my head off, I'm being sarcastic, )

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oops, forgot about the woodgrain. They used fake wood on an aluminium base in order to save weight right?

Well, actually I do have an xr7 without vinyl top. Would that make it a winner then? without being sarcastic?

Cheers!
Matthijs

P.S. still it is cool to know I have a race car, be it eXperimental...

·
Contributing Member
2,897 Posts
dont forget the nice steel vacuum can on one side to help with weight distibution and rear tailight essemblys to help put wieght over the rear wheels, plus hide away headlights to help wind coefficients. Okay sarcasm is running amok amok amok today.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Its "Experimental" (the voice in my head for this one is Homer Simpson)

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I havn't gotten this issue as I don't subscribe to Mustdangs and Fords but I have a friend who does and he lets me know if there are any articles or pics on Cougars and then I go get the issue. I will get this one next week. Interesting info as I have just about everything written about Cougars since 1966 pre production and never heard this. Who knew? I will check it out.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
The 72 XR7 was definitely built for racing, as can be seen by the extremely streamlined front and total lack of chrome.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yes, and we all know that weight is never a factor in racing, so 72cat and me with my 73 own 2 of the fastest cars the world has ever seen! Outside of a Chrysler Imperial. REALLY quick there.

Oh yeah, it's the slipstream shape, too. VERY aerodynamic. Angled front bumper and all, donchaknow.:D

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
ZT

LOL:D
Maybe we should add GT stripes to make them even faster.

·
Registered
428 Posts
72cat said:
ZT

LOL:D
Maybe we should add GT stripes to make them even faster.
Did you know the British actually call these things: "Go faster stripes"?
No kidding! Now they've got it all figured out haven't they?

Cheers!
Matthijs

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Did you know the British actually call these things: "Go faster stripes"?
So why are we busting our butts to get more horsepower with bigger carbs, headers, dual exhausts, racing cams, etc, when all we have to do is add GT stripes, I knew there was a simpler, cheaper way to go...............trust the British............to make the obvious so obvious:D

·
Registered
648 Posts
Or maybe the current trend...

Put a 'V-Tec' sticker on the side and add the letter <b> <font color=RED size=12>R</font></B>

How can 4 cylinders be anything but 1/2 as good? :)

Ken

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
I heard that racing stripes can give 20 extra horses LOL

And don't forget to put that "fartcan" on the tailpipe.... yeah... 35 extra horses.... Hey it works for the hondas nudge,nudge,wink,wink!!!!

Don

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
A buddy had to replace the tail pipe (from his muffler back) because he backed into a mountain... haha just reminiscing... anyway, I told him he should cut a hole in the bottom of a Folgers can and tack weld it to his muffler, then he could put a Folgers Xtreme Racing sticker across his hood (FXR!)
He almost did it too hahahahahaha he still might...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts