Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting sick of looking for a good hood. I am considering making a mold for a bolt on cf or just plain fiberglass. I've been reseaching Materials. My dad used to make 3 point race hydroplanes and has the know how. It would be a lot of work for a one off deal. I am thinking for the slug I would take one of my rotted lipped hoods and smooth it out. It might be a nice winter project.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If you could make a copy of the fberglass hood on the famous XR7-S I would buy one. Its aggressive looking.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you could make a copy of the fberglass hood on the famous XR7-S I would buy one. Its aggressive looking.
I would have to start with the stock hood. If I can do it without many complications I would entertain other ideas.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Carbon fiber would be really cool if you make one. Expensive but look fantastic cut and polished. Not to mention the weight savings. I don't think anyone makes a CF cougar hood anyone? I know about the glass ones and the one Robin at G Force makes that awesome Shelby hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I went through the same hood search until I just said screw it a couple weeks ago and fixed the rusty one. I think it would be cool on a race car. How many hours would it take to have a finished one?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I went through the same hood search until I just said screw it a couple weeks ago and fixed the rusty one. I think it would be cool on a race car. How many hours would it take to have a finished one?
I could easily see 40 hours in making the mold. I figure it would cost me $1000 not including my time to make the first hood. I have other stuff I would like to make too. Fender extentions, trunk lid, and cowl cover. I hate that these cars have heavy zinc die cast parts. I bet there is 40lbs zinc parts. If they made these parts out of aluminum at least you could fix the stuff.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Now that looks like nice stuff. Im not sure I would trust it for a vinyl roof but for the dash and door panels and such, YA!

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I have a near perfect grade A hood for sale if you need a model.

248-867-3522

1 - 12 of 12 Posts