Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1969 Coupe I am getting ready to restore and it has a few rust areas. One is the inside panel in the left fender well of the trunk. CJ Pony Parts has that panel for the 69 Mustang for $13.35. It would be great to just cut out the rust and weld in the new panel.

The question I have is this: With the Mustang and the Cougar being close cousins I know that a LOT of the Mustang parts are identical to the Cougar. The problem is knowing which ones. Does anyone know of an interchange manual or whatever that would list what parts are compatible?

David

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
David,

I know of no such manual, it is community knowledge though, we collectively can help. To that end, I think you are talking about the trunk drop-off? If yes, that is not the same as mustang although they can be cut down to fit, inverted side to side so the "dimples" stick out in the correct direction and the rear part (mustang is shorter) needs to be either made or kept from the originals.

Here you go:

Cutting the 'stang pieces: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?21714-(Picture)-Diary-of-an-ECI-(East-Coast-Idiot)&p=305428#post305428

Patching in the cut up 'stang pieces: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?21714-(Picture)-Diary-of-an-ECI-(East-Coast-Idiot)&p=271759#post271759

Having said all this, I believe John's Classic Cougars sells the correct drop-off's.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
508 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all for the info. I have ordered a few new catalogs to digest when they arrive.

I can remember in my youth, a LONG time ago, seeing an interchange manual at a junk yard locally that listed things like window glass, engines, rear ends, etc. I can not remember in what detail it went into but I did see it. That junk yard has been out of business for the last 25 plus years so I can not check there agin.

David

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Interchange manual info. I knew they existed and now I have one on order.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have one called Ford Parts Interchange Manual - 1959-70 Mustang, Fairlane, Torino, and Mercury Cougar and Cyclone. Author is Paul A. Herd, published 1995 by MBI Publishing. Has a picture of a 64 1/2 Mustang on the front. Covers pretty much the whole car, lots of illustrations and photographs. Don't remember where I got it, probably ebay. I've read elsewhere on this forum that people have had issues with accuracy, but I've found it mostly ok.

Colin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts