Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled the intake from my '70 351C 4v last night and figured out where the vacuum leak was coming from. There is a tube that goes down into the valley from the top of the manifold, that used to be hooked up to the original carb (kind of a heat riser thingy)...I also found where the valley pan and the intake gaskets had seperated and was also leaking. So, now I have the new valley pan and gaskets and will be media blasting the intake today so I can get a coat of paint on it tonight after work and will re-install it tomorrow evening...so, only this question...on the "heat riser tube"...since I changed the carb to the Holley (it now has an electric choke)...does that heat riser tube need to stay hooked up? Does it go to any sensor inside the dash someplace or under the hood, or can I do away with it altogether and just plug the thing off? The gasket under it had turned to sh!t and was nothing more than a bunch of crusty rust and carbon deposit.

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
I can't see exactly what it is that you are refering to, but if it is that small diameter tube that went to the stock choke, yes you can delete it..

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I'd just cap it off Jay....unless you have some desire to go back to "original" some day. Those heat tubes were always kind of a pita to deal with anyways IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Edelbrock makes a block off plate for the heat riser, not sure if would fit a stock manifold (assuming this is what you have) but I would think it would. you could also make one from a plate of stell (for an iron manifold) or aluminum (for an aluminum manifold).

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Edelbrock makes a block off plate for the heat riser, not sure if would fit a stock manifold (assuming this is what you have) but I would think it would. you could also make one from a plate of stell (for an iron manifold) or aluminum (for an aluminum manifold).
Even better idea Bob! Wonder if some place like Advance Auto or O Rileys carries them?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Bob,

What is stell? Is that some super secret government type material?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Even better idea Bob! Wonder if some place like Advance Auto or O Rileys carries them?
Advance lists it, but you'll have to order it. Edelbrock 8981.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got it coming on a overnight truck, $13.99 plus a couple of bucks for shipping. What a great site, all you have to do is ask and "Ye shall receive" MCNET ROCKS!

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Got it coming on a overnight truck, $13.99 plus a couple of bucks for shipping. What a great site, all you have to do is ask and "Ye shall receive" MCNET ROCKS!
Get real man. The site is crap and it is all because of that scum Supa Mod.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Get real man. The site is crap and it is all because of that scum Supa Mod.
I LOL'd!

Ok, so I need ten characters to post. Me, SoCalCraigster, Leon...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts