Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experence swapping a 2v intake for a 4v intake. What all is involved and what do I need to get besides the gaskets. I bought a allum. 4v intake from a 302 and wont to put it on my 289 2v. My friend gave me a 600cfm holley carb just need to rebuild it. Any help would be appreicated.

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
as well as gaskets, you'll need silicone, antifreeze, remember to put hardened washers under the bolts so you dont dig up the intake, maybe new thermostat, might as well spring for new hose clamps and check the condition of the hoses and belts, might need to modify/tweak the linkage abit. To get full potential of the intake swap, dual exhaust and some sort of ignition upgrade should be added soon. But a very worth while swap none the less. :)

Rick

·
11,000 Posts
To rebuild the Holley carb the first thing you need is either an experienced person to guide you or a book on the subject. Otherwise you will fail. Failure can mean a bad running car or a major fire that destroys your car and injures you or your friends.

You also need some carb cleaning solvent (Gunk makes a great 5 gallon kit) some carb cleaning spray and compressed air.

Use only Holley or Moroso parts. Borg Warner and some other companies make atrocious Holley rebuild kits with needle and seats that won't flow enough fuel at wide open throttle.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Summit Racing and JEGS offer several varieties of carb spacers. Keep in mind that a 1" spacer will raise your air cleaner up an inch also...check for clearance first.

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Carb spacers arent nececelery, there more of a tuning aid and to keep the fuel charge cooler. If your going for a dual plain intake, then a divided spacer, or 4 holer would be good, but if your going with a single plain intake, go for an open spacer. Its basically a test and see what you like theory of spacers basically. If your linkage hits, or any other interference, then spacers help, or if you cant get a good idle on your carb, then spacer may help. There's so many types, sizes, and compositions of spacers out know and Im not real knowldegable on them all, so I'll leave the rest to someone else to recommend a certain one. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts