Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a Boss 351 manifold bo;t onto a 351 C? I'm thinking they should with no problems. Right?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
A boss 351 manifold is for 4v ports. Those aussies that your getting use a 2v style port? mm

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doh!

your right. thanks mark.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Since we're talking intake manifolds here I was wondering if any of you guys had any opinions on Edelbrocks new Air Gap design?

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
There is a magazine article I read about putting a 4 barrel intake on 2V motor. Use the 2V gasket, bolt on the intake like normally would, put a nice 650cfm on it, and an instant 30hp improvement. My friend has a 71 torino 2V that we did that too, and what an improvement. We didnt use the Boss intake, but a 4V cast intake and it ran awesome. Just a thought.
If you have access to Ford Performance book by SA designs, on page 96 they have a little write up on it too. they said put a 780 Holley for a quick and cheap 35 hp.

Rick

·
Premium Member
3,404 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing. It would be like having a 4V motor with port plates installed. The bigger runners in the intake will be an improvement. I would really think about doing that, thats if you have the intake already.
:D

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
If you have the clearance to stick an air gap in the there, it's worth it. I've read a number of reviews on it and seen it on a buddies car and it's a very nice, good performing design...

·
Registered
314 Posts
How much are the Air Gaps going for? I'm in the market for a new manifold. I'm going for a Performer, but if the price isn't too much more I'll upgrade. :D More Power:D

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Clevelands

They do not make, or are they ever likely to make an Air Gap intake for the Cleveland. Ya gotta remember that the last 'short' true Cleveland was made in 1974! The taller-block 351M/400 ended in 1979. They won't spend the money to tool up to make any new performance parts for an engine family that old. The cost justification just isn't there!

As for 351Ws or other Windsors, they will make an AirGap for them since the 302 died just last year (in the Explorer) and the 351W died out in 1997 in the F-series trucks.

Many of the intake manufacturers have 4V intakes for the 2V port sizes of both the 'short' Cleveland and the 351M/400. Of course the magazine ads aren't gonna list something that outdated, so you'll have to check out their websites or even the print catalogs to see what's available. I know Edelbrock still lists a Performer for Clevelands with the 2V port size.

Have fun!

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
See now, that's why we keep you around cj... You actually pay attention to what's being posted... Me, I just respond all willy nilly... :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
O.K. so now that you have my curiosity, what exactly is the difference between the 4V and the 2V? Or did I just ask a stupid question?:confused:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
4v= 4 barrel 2v= 2 barrel

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
edelbrock still has a performer for the 4v Cleveland. # 2665 i believe. i have one. sitting on a bench though. i may or may not use it though. its gonna be a limited use car and i MAY go with a single plane or something for that particular car. ( read the other post of mine about the 70 and youll see the car that i want for it ) i really really want to break the 400 hp mark with that engine. with the D0AE 4v heads, a 670 cfm carb, and the right cam and intake, i think i can do it without alot of trouble. isnt that right CougarCJ?

Attachments

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
2V, 4V and other stuff

To try to get this thread back on track, Vfret was asking about putting a factory Boss 4V intake on his engine. The thing is, he's gonna be using Aussie 2V cleveland heads. Those are closed chamber 2V heads. That means they have the 2V port sizes. You can put a regular 4V intake on 2V heads, but you're gonna have a big port mis-match. Remember, 2V Clevelands have small ports and 4V Clevelands have big ports.

All 2V engines had 2-barrel carbs. To get around being stuck with the factory 2-barrel intake on the 2V heads, you can get aftermarket intakes that will allow putting a 4-barrel carb on 2V heads. Edelbrock (and a few others) make intake manifolds for this purpose.

OK. Is everybody clear on this now? :1poke:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts