Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this forum. I own a 1986 base Cougar with the 302 engine. I am in the process of putting the intake manifold back on my car and I need help with hooking it back up. I only own a "Haynes" manual, and I cannot find what I am looking for. Thanks, in advance to anyone who can help me!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AndyM,
Thanks for replying. All I need is to know how to hook up my upper intake manifold.
Am I right to think that the EGR spacer has coolant going through it? When I took it off, it was all plugged up. If I turn the upper manifold over, it has four connectors. One has split off into three connections (one large and two small). I wish my camera was working, it would be easier to just show you, but then if it were working I probably wouldn't be bothering anyone. I appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The EGR spacer is designed to have coolant flow through it. Its common to see them bypassed though. Either because of a leak, or more commonly, at least with Mustangs, due to the owner's belief that it will improve performance. Bottom line, it doesn't seem to make a lot of real world difference. But if you're in a jurisdiction that does emissions testing, you'll probably have to have it hooked up to pass.
The other connections sound like vacuum fittings. I'd expect there to be disconnected hoses that correspond with the empty ports. Hook ups should be similar to this:

But if there are more ports than hoses, just cap off the extras.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CJ750,
I really appreciate your help! I've been working on my poor car for about 3 weeks now. I've owned this car for about 10 years and for about the last 2 years I have been running it down and now that I just retired, I needed to help it out. So far I have replaced the radiator with an aluminum radiator, replaced the stock fan with a flex fan, thermostat and housing, GR-2 struts, rear shocks, stiffer springs, front and back anti-sway bars, 15:1 rack and pinion, MSD distributor, VDO gauges, and all polyurethane for the chassis. I removed all of the intake to clean it up all ports, ect. and put new gaskets. It's my daily driver so I figure it's time to give back being it took care of me for so long. Again, I thank you for your time and assistance.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You're welcome. Although I've never owned one, I've always had a soft spot for the '83-'88 Cougars. Of all the varied incarnations the Cougar took after '73, those came closest to the size and spirit of the originals, IMO. Good luck with yours.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts