Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the top of SBF manifolds there is a right angle tube that feeds the heater core. What is that tubes official name? I purchased one with my Edelbrock manifold and it is now leaking. I need to replace it but can't find them anywhere. The one on the front is called the water or filler neck. What ia the name for the one on the top??

Can't believe after 25+ years the only name I have for it is the handle you cary the cast iron on around with.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tried the heater hose fitting and many variations. Made sense to me.

Took a lool at the elbo and it looks right but too deep. DFW have you used one before? I will take a photo of mine and post it. The mistake I may have made was upgrading to the fancy swivel type. The O ring gave out and started dripping. Then POW...... shower time.

Photo to follow!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The first pic is of mine. It failed on the blue ring. There is an O ring that lets it spin. I think that is what gave out. The second is a pic of another manifold withour one installed and no water neck.

I think I purchased it from Jegs but not sure. Can't find it in their online catalog yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fitting is sealed. I have to replace the entire blue L paet that ends in the red part. The red has the tapered ridged hose fitting. You can see it through the split in the hose where I had to cut it a bit to get it off.

So I need the whole fitting or something like it. Just don't know what it is called. Been googling for hours. Maybe I am just tired.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did some more googling and asked around on some of my other forums for Broncos and such. I am not the only one who does not know the name of that 90 degree piece. Read 20 + posts and they all say "just go into (insert part store here) and ask for the 90 degree heater hose fitting that screws into the manifold".

Did get a good hint. Go to the hardware store and build one from brass plumbing parts. It will last longer and be stronger. I am a little concerned about the brass and aluminum. Will there be a reaction like when you use copper and steel together in home plumbing.

On the hunt I go. If I cant find a name by dawn I get to name it.

I so decree it to be named the "Wolfeman Fitting"........

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
the factory style elbow had an extension to get the pickup down into coolant---the one you have there may not transfer coolant as well

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Brass and aluminum is no issue as far as them reacting.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
DFW have you used one before?
Yes. I had to cut the length of the pipe back on the side that goes in the intake. For some reason the aluminum Edelbrocks don't accept the one that Dallas Mustang sells but it works once cut.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is quite the search. Localy I went to Autozone and Oreillys. No luck. Autozone had straight kind but no right angle. Oreillys had nothing. On the web Jegs has some but they are $25+. The hardware store had fittings but nothing worked out. This is what I found on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-DEGREE-FITTING-5-8-HOSE-TO-1-2-NPT-INTAKE-MANIFOLD-FITTING-HEATER-/261289228963?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd60d3aa3&vxp=mtr

The threads are 1/2 NPT and hose fitting is 5/8. Is that correct?
On goes the search.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got mad and took a grinder to the old fitting and removed the fancy spinning barbed end. Looks pretty good. I will post pics later. Now I need more heater hose then I should be done.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Guess that is on the line of what I was thinking when you said " It don't come apart" ... I thought It's is junk anyways ... I'd get it apart ......

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got that right torque. Just ground slits in it until the end came off the smoothed out and notched the angled end to hold the hose. I will still order a right angle heater hose fitting but this will get me going. I wish I could plug the hole and bypass the heater core. My vert will never see cold weather. We did this in the old days but it gets a bit ugly.

With that in mind. The water pump has 2 5/8 outputs. One goes to the water neck and the other goes to the heater core. Has anyone pluged those two 5/8 fittings or at least the one that goes to tge heater core? What is the result in the back preasure on the pump?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts