Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone have an opinion about an intake manifold for my 67 289? I have a 4160 Holley (1850-2) that my brother gave me and would like to use it on the 289. I would also like to keep the stock air cleaner. I also have an opportunity to purchase a used Edelbrock 289 Performer. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Intake Manifold

Hi Bruter,
I am running a performer RPM on wvcat and I like it, the rpm is a little taller than the regular performer but I don't have any clearence problems with a 4 inch chrome el cheapo (summit) air cleaner but my cars a 70. I would think the performer would be a good manifold for your motor assuming its mostly stock and you shouldn't have any clearence problems. If your motors in decent shape you should think about doing a performer camkit while your in there and you might as well put a double roller chain in for good measure. You should notice a big improvement in performance.
Good Luck
John

·
Registered
314 Posts
I ran a Edelbrock Performer 289 when I still had the 289 , and had plenty of clearence, even w/ the pcv spacer. If you use the Performer, and have a pcv spacer you will have to get rid of the spacer, because it doesn't seal between the manifold and the spacer, and it creates a giant vacuum leak( know from experience).

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What to do with PCV?

Thanks for the info clevelandcougar, but where then would you connect the PCV valve?

·
Registered
314 Posts
On my edelbrock 600cfm there is one big vaccuum port directly in front and center, I just hooked the vacuum hose up to that port, every thing worked great.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Definitely go with an Edelbrock Performer RPM. Although not a Cougar, I have a 1963 Galaxie with a modified 289. I have tried a cast iron 4-barrell manifold, an original Cobra alum hi-rise, an Edelbrock Performer, and an Edelbrock Performer RPM. The Performer RPM is by far the best manifold I have used a Holley 600 (List#1850) and a Road Demon 625 carb. Both work well, but the Demon was a little better suited to my particular application.

·
Registered
406 Posts
The Road Demon carb is probably the best looking "small" cfm carb on the market those things are gorgeous!! I want one but they cost about a hundred more than I'm looking to spend :( - Chad

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
ok ok ok ok, i admit to he beauty of a Road Demon carb, bu Daaaaaaaaaaammmmnnn, i hate 4 corner idle screws!! lol and i can get a Holley for about 150 less

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info! Is the Performer RPM taller than the Performer? That would mean that the stock air cleaner would have to go? Also, any comments on the purchase of a used Performer 289 intake?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
nothing wrong with a Performer Intake. i have one on my 69 351W. its fine, but then again i dont spin the engine over 5000rpm much at all. But it helped milage, and power. but DAMN it looks tons better than the old stock 2bbl manifold.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Intake recommendations from the 'guru'

...or senior motorhead. :p:

If your engine is to be street driven, stick with a dual plane. If the engine is close to stock, stick to the standard Performer (or equivalent). If the engine has been modified with higher compression, hotter cam, headers, etc, you will probably be better of with the Performer RPM. It is all a matter of intake runner or plenum volume.

If the engine will spend 98+ percent of its time on the street and below 5500rpm, stick with the dual plane design like the Performer. That will give you better throttle response in the low-mid RPM ranges. The higher volume Performer RPM intake is better for slightly higher RPMs, like if you have a better flowing exhaust and higher gears. Leave the open plenum or 'single plane' intake manifolds to the strip. You really won't like what they do to your street (low-mid RPMs) performance and gas mileage.

Me? Beta Cat does just fine ([email protected]) with a stock 4V dual plane intake and stock exhaust manifolds. It does get a little winded above 5200rpm, so that's my limit and shift point. Alpha Cat had a poorly matched engine, with a single plane (Torker) intake and headers on a relatively low compression over cammed engine that Beta would beat. I have since wised up and put a dual plane on Alpha, and upped the compression, and now it runs great.

What I'm trying to say is you have to match your components to your intended use. Too far in either direction and you're asking for trouble.

If you give me the specifics of your engine/trans/ converter/ exhaust/ rear gear I can be of greater help.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drivetrain specs

Hey thanks Cougrrcj! In addition to the other previous comments, you have made my choice clear. Looks like I will purchase that used Performer 289 (for about $100 CDN or $60 US). The drivetrain on my 67 is stock. It has a 89,000 mile 289 (for which I am not ready to rebuild), C-4 trans, stock converter, dual exhaust and the rear gear is code "0"...2.79 non-locking. I will be driving it 100% of the time on the street. The existing 2V is in need of a rebuild but I have this nice 1850-2 Holley just sitting on the garage shelf...so why not put in on. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PCV valve spacer

Thanks to all who replied....will be purchasing the Performer 289:) One thing still needs clarification though and that's the PCV valve spacer. Since I have a 2V manifold now, I would need to purchase a spacer?? Any other experiences with the spacer or is it sufficient to connect to a vacuum port on the carb? Happy holidays to one and all!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I would hookup PCV valve to carb, and not worry about spacer. Although carb spacers are excellent tuning tools, your basically stock engine should run very well without a spacer.

·
Contributing Sr Motorhead
5,470 Posts
Carb spacer

Carb spacer may or may not be required, depending on what carb you end up using. Some carbs (or intake manifolds) have a large port for PCV or power brake hookup, some do not. If you don't, well, you're gonna need to hook up those lines somewhere, eh? That means you gotta get a spacer with the large vacuum port. If you already have the vacuum port, you're good to go.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts