Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone....long time no talk to. Anyway,
I installed my new intake manifold today and think I might have a problem. Attached are a couple of pictures regarding a hole located on the right side of the picture. The new intake doesn't cover this area completely and was wondering if I am going to run into a problem? Also attached is a picture of the new manifold and how it doesn't cover this area. I added extra sealant to the area to make it work but I wanted your input before I go any further. Thanks,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is the second picture

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
Head year?

Hi-

Something looks awry here. I have two sets of 1970 351C 4V heads, multiple 2V heads. No hole found. Now I do see that on the gasket set there is a hole but my intakes fully cover the hole anyway. So this begs the question: what heads and intake are you running? You're not mixing a 2V head manifold on 4V heads or something like that?
Drop us a line back with more detail as to which heads, gaskets, and intake you are running and we can get it figured out.

Bill

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have stock 2bbl heads D5AE that I personally installed in 1989. The intake I am installing is an Edelbrock Performer 4bbl conversion for the 2bbl heads. The hole I am talking about apparantly is an exhaust hole. Here is another picture.... I have a feeling that Summit Racing sold me the wrong gasket set and I am awaiting a response from them. The gaskets are from Fel-Pro and everything matched up fine except for that corner. By the way, the Edelbrock intake has never been on this engine....I have always had the 2bbl stock manifold on the car. I removed the Edelbrock last night after I ran into the problem.

Attachments

·
11,000 Posts
Jeff,
The D5AE head is for a 351M or 400M, they are not really that great for a 351C. Do you still have the old gaskets? If so what is the difference? Are you using the under intake metal pan or seperate gaskets?

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just purchased the under pan for the next installation. I think that will work better. Are you serious? The D5AE heads are for the 351M and 400M? The gaskets I just attempted to install were separate. What should I do now? I was told those were 351C heads when my dad purchased them years ago.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hey Jeff,

I didn't know you had the D5AE heads. Royce is right, they aren't a very good performance head. They have a huge casting around the exhaust valve guide in the port to allow better cooling to the exahsut valve itself. It really takes up a lot of space in the port and reduces flow. I have the same set of heads on my 351M in the Bronco. I was going to put a set of 351c 2v's on there, but I figured if it is going to be towing a heavy load it may need the extra cooling, plus I don't need a lot of performance out of the motor anyway, and I still have the exhaust manifolds on it. Also, the later heads have hardsened exhaust seats and I didn't want to spend the money to put them in a set of 2v heads.
But hey, if the car ran good to you, then stick with what you got. I normally say to run a single pattern cam with the 351c 2v heads with headers, but in your case, you may need another 5-10 extra degrees of duration on the exhaust side.

Mark Piechowski
70 XR-7 460 AOD
69 SS 351c 2v AOD
70 XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Sunroof Eliminator 351w 4v FMX

·
Premium Member
4,105 Posts
Jeff,
I just went and looked at some of my Cleveland stuff, I have a set of 72 2V heads, they do not have the holes your heads have. The intake I have on the engine from Badcatt covers that area.(Weind Excelorator) I remember having a set of heads with the holes, They were blocked off with tin plugs like freeze plugs. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mystery has been solved! They seem to be 351M heads and I'll just have to make a decision on what to do next. I will probably change them out with the correct ones just to make me feel more comfortable. Thanks for everyones help. We'll just have to see what this week brings.

·
Premium Member
2,142 Posts
How would you like a free set of 2V heads?

Contact me through my signature line and they're yours.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks....just sent you a PM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts