Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guys,

I am planning to swap my original 351W to a 428FE.
I want to use Ebrock RPM manifold with the original 69 ram air unit but I am afraid I will have problems with closing my hood because this manifold will move the carb closer to the firewall about 3/4" and it will sit higher as well. Did somebody try to use this combo?
(I have not cut my hood yet)
Any info is highly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Probably won't help, but I am using a stock air cleaner base for ram air (with garage door weatherstrip as a ram-air seal) on a 351C with an Air Gap. Fits (barely) without hitting underside of hood.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I don't know the difference in height between the FE and the Cleveland engine but as I remember the Air Gap has even higher profile than the RPM. I think I have a good chance to make this combo without problems.
Thanks,

Baz

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Well, I don't know the difference in height between the FE and the Cleveland engine but as I remember the Air Gap has even higher profile than the RPM. I think I have a good chance to make this combo without problems.
Thanks,

Baz

Yes, the AG is about 1" higher rise than an RPM manifold, again, in the case of a Cleveland.

Reagrds,

Bob

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
The FE RPM has the same front and rear manifold height as the stock iron 428CJ at 4.125" front and 6.0" rear. The carb setback from the front on the RPM is 8.50" vs 7.875" on the iron CJ. So the aircleaner on the RPM will be be set back 3/4" (.750") than stock not forward. Hood clearance should be the same. Measurements are from Jay Browns "Intake Comparo" book.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The FE RPM has the same front and rear manifold height as the stock iron 428CJ at 4.125" front and 6.0" rear. The carb setback from the front on the RPM is 8.50" vs 7.875" on the iron CJ. So the aircleaner on the RPM will be be set back 3/4" (.750") than stock not forward. Hood clearance should be the same. Measurements are from Jay Browns "Intake Comparo" book.
This is a great info. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts