Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone. I have been working on my instrument panel for three weeks.
1) First I had alot of lights not working and started to replace the light blubs.

2) I had been having some problems with the Oil pressure gauge acting strange. Going from high to Low

3) Took the panel out( lots of fun getting the speed o cable out, and found three rips in the printed circuit and replaced it with a repo for 70 cougar Mustang unlimited Still had problems with gauges

5) Replaced the voltage reg for instrument panel after market from mustang unlimited

6) Now I have no lights but blinkers and lights for warning lights,,, Oil pressure says 0

It must be the new Voltage reg,,,here finally is my question??? in the box with the new volt regulator it said it must be properly grounded. There is no external ground for the panel. I guess it get its ground when its mounted to the dash??

Help Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi
It sounds like you lost the ground to the dash.
First get a test light/ volt meter and check to see if you are getting 12V at the sockets.
If you are run a test wire from the body to a solid piece of metal and see if the lights come back on.
If this works then find the ground and repair /replace it.
I assume you checked the fuses and main connector to the dash panel.
The rips in the circuit board can sometimes be repaired if it is copper by soldering a bridge over the broken area.
Good luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes it gets it ground from being bolted in but age and rust can cause issues.
Also be sure the board is for one with gauges and not idiot lights.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The voltage regulator reduces current to 5 volts but I will check to make sure I have near 5 volts Then I will try to do a test wire... Just not sure where to put it. I guess and metal part of the panel with out paint? Thanks mike

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
The voltage regulator reduces current to 5 volts but I will check to make sure I have near 5 volts Then I will try to do a test wire... Just not sure where to put it. I guess and metal part of the panel with out paint? Thanks mike
Unless the replacement VR is solid state, you cannot check with a meter. The original style VR's regulate by pulsing the voltage on and off. So the voltage will not read correctly on a DC meter.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a good ground now, and changed back to the Old VR still no lights working on panel. Have checked the fuses there fine................mike

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
Was the PCB you recieved exactlythe same as your old one? There are differences depending on options package (XR7 Vs Standard)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts