Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are dim lights (in particular, the dash lights) a common complaint with classic Cougars? I have a new headlight switch on order (which also controls instrument panel brightness, I believe) and am wondering if I need to replace all the bulbs across the dash, as well?

Should I be looking at anything else?

Thanks,

DCL

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
My dash lights brightened up some when I installed a headlight relay harness.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also, if you didn't already, is to remove the tape holding on your directional/high beam/brake/belts instrument lights lenses. I removed the vinyl cover which goes across the front of the dash board and noticed the lenses were taped on across the lenses with transparent tape. Of course this tape isn't transparent any more! It was yellow, almost brown and 2 layers in some spots. I removed the tape, cleaned the lenses, and put back on with masking tape around the edges. Made them all much brighter.

·
Registered
391 Posts
One of the positive side effects of having the plastic dash rechromed a few years ago for my '68 standard was that all of the dash lights, especially those in the gauges, are now much brighter.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
Cleaning the diffusers, reflector and lenses can help a lot. Also, new bulbs can make a difference.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm working on my '70 cluster now. All the white painted surfaces are now a dull off white/cream color. I scuffed all the painted surfaces and repainted with satin white. Also there are some plastic tubes used to isolate the blinkers,high beams etc. I bought white fusion paint and repainted those inside and out. What a difference! I know my lights will be brighter. The relay harness for the head lights is a good idea. I am going to do that also.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Between the rechromed dash and new headlight switch the improvement is incredible. One thing I noticed when I removed the old switch was the dimmer/brightness contact was worn out and failed to make contact the last 1/2" of the wire coil. So if I dialed to brighten it only got so bright and then went dark.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Between the rechromed dash and new headlight switch the improvement is incredible. One thing I noticed when I removed the old switch was the dimmer/brightness contact was worn out and failed to make contact the last 1/2" of the wire coil. So if I dialed to brighten it only got so bright and then went dark.
That is exactly what im getting too. time to try a new headlight switch i guess :D

·
Registered
401 Posts
Today I went to go buy all new bulbs and discovered Sylvania now has a "silverstar" 194ST bulb that is supposed to be brighter. Expensive though at $9.99.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts