Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all.. i have a 1969 cougar xr7.. i just replaced the circut board ,the other board burned up do to a short on the amp meter,now all my blinkers outside the car work fine, the instrument cluster left blinker iluminates but the right intrument cluster blinker dose not iluminate and one of my horns is not working..any help would be appreciated..

·
Registered
442 Posts
Foxman, I think that the right blinker would be a bad connection to the bulb or a bad bulb. I changed my board on the 70 and have 2 bulbs that will not light up. These circuit boards are used and youget what you get. Try to swap the turn signal bulb with one that you know is working. My green standard 70 has the bright beam bulb out and I know that it is the board. The horn probably is not related. Try to hot wire it to see if it blows or check the current to it with a meter. Your horn may have just went out. Sal Cougar Geek

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replay,well i found the problem,looks like a wire in the harness fried :eek2:,and the box in the trunk was carroded a,little:bloated: i fixed the fried wire in the harness and (bam)..now eveything is working fine again ,checked amp meter,and circut board is A okay Thanks hope this helps someone, if you burn your circut board check your harness

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have the same issue with my right turn signal and was told that the culprit is most likely the signal switch in the column. I have not changed it out as of yet but have a new one ready to install. The exterior lights still work fine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mongo, the turn signal switch is pretty easy once you get the steering wheel off. Some harness's run through the steering column, your 70 runs along side the column and is covered by the round column cover. Once it's done, you'll wonder why you waited so long.

Foxman, great to see that you fixed the problem. I had a fried wire in my 70 standard that drove me crazy because it gave me readings that should have started the car. Once I realized that the voltage wasn't consistent and changed it, everything is fine now.

Sal Cougar geek

1 - 7 of 7 Posts