Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, you must know that I hate working on the electrical system. Have a 69 that kept blowing the fuse for the instrument lights. I got a new instrument gauge panel and wiring harness to replace what was in the car, in case I had a short somewhere. I put the new instrument panel in today and finally have the floor lights, but not the instrument panel. I also had a glove box light (the one that is part of the dash just above the glove box) that stayed on, even when the engine was turned off. The fuses are all right but I would like to have instrument lights. Any ideas or anything I should try? I haven't changed the wiring harness yet, figure that can take me a weekend.

·
Registered
145 Posts
check the bulkhead connection between the engine compartment wiring harness and the cockpit wiring harness. I encountered a similar problem with my 69. also check the large wire that is the black with yellow stripe. It's riveted to the fuse block but the brass connector is kinda thin and they break or short out to the firewall. good luck.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
For glove box check switch is working and gets actuated when box is closed.

Dash lights reostatt in licht switch maybe not sending current.

I just finished doing mine last Saturday all now work. Good Luck. With wiring diagrans and shop manual it still is a challange.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My instrument cluster light fuses keep blowing, too! I am not sure what happened, because it used to be fine. I notice that when I rev the engine the lights get brighter. Is this the cause?
I will check the fuse block connections to firewall.
How can I check to see if the regulator is ok or is it something else? Scott

·
Registered
75 Posts
Come to think of it......my '68 has no interior lights at ALL (well except the tranny selector light wooopie!) One day I will get around to fixing it...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Was trying to locate my electrical short and found that it was the ash tray light. I had taken the bulb out after I took the ash tray off and put the console in. The wire inside the bulb holder pushed thru it and was touching the bottom of the dash, which was blowing the instrument light fuse. Sure am glad that is all it was.

·
Registered
4 Posts
intrument lights

my dash instrument lights blew out when I was installing my radio. I had forgotten to undo the battery when my screw driver hit something metal to the right of the radio causing a popping sound close by. That night I had no dash lights. The fuse looks good and the green board on the gauges looks good. I will have to chase down every thing in the area I guess. If I read it right book says the thing I hit was a horn relay. Go figure. any info would help me also.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
69CATTER said:
Was trying to locate my electrical short and found that it was the ash tray light. I had taken the bulb out after I took the ash tray off and put the console in. The wire inside the bulb holder pushed thru it and was touching the bottom of the dash, which was blowing the instrument light fuse. Sure am glad that is all it was.

HUH!?!?! the ash tray has a light???

Don

·
Registered
180 Posts
Don, yes on my 69 XR7, the ashtray on the console has a light that comes on when you turn the parking lights on. Also, if your car has the non-console ashtray that mounts under the dash it has a light with it that does the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts