Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just taken my instrument cluster apart and this plastic piece where everything bolts onto, which is this shiny chrome look ridge around the woodgrain pad, is not nice and shiny anymore. To be honest, it is mostly brown, showing shiny spots here and there.
My Question is, is this shiny stuff plated or is it some kind of paint?
Anyone ever fixed this up before and willing to share experiance?

Then another thing, some gaugefaces are all crinkled and bleached by the (indeed, Californian...) sun.
Are there replacements for this available, or does anyone manufacture overlays, which look original?

If anyone knows the right answer to these questions, go ahead and try your luck.

Thanks,
Matthijs

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
I've seen and add for rechroming the plastic bezel in John's Cougar Classic catalogue. Think it was about $125 to do it. I'm getting ready to do the same to my baby when she get's out of the shop. Was it hard to take the dash pieces apart? Also, If you need some gauges, I've got about 5 or six complete dashes stored around here. Gonna use the best for mine, but I know the other's aren't too bad. Let me know and good luck

Steve:D

·
Banned
4,754 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Steve,

So I understandthe bezel (who makes these words up?!) is chrome plated? In that case I'll go contact some local shop if they can do it for me.
The cluster is not too hard to remove, that is when your hands aren't too big. You'll have to move away the heater control switch and reach through the hole to remove the speedo cable. I figure putting it back together will be a pita though.

Please, do save some of these gauges, I'm not sure yet but I think I'll just need the amp and fuel gauges. Still have to clean them first, to see what's left of the others.
Do you ship to outside the US?

Cheers,
Matthijs

·
Contributing Member
797 Posts
No problem to ship outside the US. I should have the dashes for another 3-4 months so no hurry. I'll even pull out the ones you need if you don't want the whole cluster.

Steve

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have any pics of y'r second best cluster?

Thanks,
Matthijs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts