Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an instrument cluster into my 67 and it was easy enough to take out but when I put it back in I couldn't get the speedometer cable attached again. The cable appears to be too long now and I can't get the screw part (that houses the cable) to meet the screw in part of the back of the inst. cluster. It wasn't this way when I started and I can't tell if it was spring loaded or I just don't know what i'm doing.
I hope I described it well enough it all seemed so easy at first... oh yeah i don't know if this has anything to do with exchanging the instr. cluster but my car won't start now it just clicks when I try to start it (I did forget to disconnect the battery before starting this little fiasco but nothing blew up) and it started fine before I did this so i'm not sure if there's a connection with the cluster that affects the ignition or... I normally don't repair things on my car and this is why!
I'd appreciate any help from anyone
Thanks
Wylder
Venice, Ca:confused:

·
Registered
160 Posts
not starting

Well as I'm not a 67 cougar owner I 'm not sure if this will apply to you as well,but when I was troubleshooting my tach (original one that is) I found that with the connector disconnected the car would not start. Maybe thats the same with yours. I found that the 28v signal from the ignition switch went through it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, i hope that's the problem but now i just gotta figure out how to get that damn cable attached again

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hm, I didn't have any trouble with mine at all... it came off and went back together about the same... maybe make sure it's turned and lined up with the hole in the speedo so it seats all the way in???

Robert

·
Contributing Member
5,865 Posts
67/68 instrument installation

You need to attach the cable before you screw the instrument panel into place. Sometimes you need to pill the inner cable out a bit and insert it into the speedo head before wuo can screw the cable up

That way the cable and panel can be moved around to line up and as you push the panel into place the cable will push back into position behind the dash

·
Registered
314 Posts
I had the same problem with my speedo cable. You just have to be very very patient, because it can take a long time to get it right. I must have spent over an hour fiddeling with the cable before I got it back together, that included taking a break to cuss and yell at the car.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
i have no idea how to do that, but i just wanted to say welcome to another California Catter... he he he

1 - 7 of 7 Posts