Mercury Cougar Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to ask how all you guys go about restoring your plastic instrument bezels? Mine has the typical faded and discolored chrome paint.
-Best of my knowledge no one offers these new/restored for cougars, just mustangs.
-Gave my best shot at Duplicolor "Chrome" spraypaint but it has no durability and smudges/chips very easily...despite having a decent finish at first.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Hey DanMan..CVVacuumPlaters did a good job with my bezels and the clear intstrument bezels too..But if you want to try something yourself and save money, you can do a lot of good for your "cones" using a microfibre cloth with "Wenol Blue" or any other fine metal polish. Just takes a lot of elbow grease and time, but it is amazing how much you can do to those fine scratches with the stuff..

I was initially a bit upset when I got my clear cones back after paying 15-20 bucks each to have them polished (and I know I could have done it myself!) but believe me, once they are installed, just having the haze and major scratches polished out makes a HUGE difference and it is impossible to see the fine marks that were still left on mine.

The same can be said for polishing your plastic rear taillight lenses too, btw! Wenol Blue is just great stuff for your metals and any clear/hard plastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don, thanks for pointing me in the right direction I should have searched around a little more before reposting that question. With that being said I couldn't decipher the status of your shop having these repainted bezels available, is that still in the works for you?

Brian, appreciate the expert advice. I will most likely try cleaning my lenses up here at home.

Thanks again, Dan.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.