Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need some guidance here - have a 69' cougar Mild 351W with a 4 Row A/C radiator (24" big one). After driving for a while the radiator gets hot - also the rad-support and a front portion of the hood - (the first 2 are hot to the touch). The Temp gauge never passes the half way mark and the car drives fine even when it is this hot. NO overheating problems tho...

I got a deal on a Brand new Alum. radiator so I want to install this now (Champion brand) - it is also the big rad that matches what I already have.

My question is installing this alum. rad - what type of coolant to use and water - I've heard to Distilled water and premium antifreeze with aluminum radiators.

But I would like to know what you guys are using - any advise or tips I should be aware of?

Much thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
I see you live in Ca. so you don't have to worry about freezing, I always use distilled water and just enough coolant to keep it below freezing and I add a bottle of WETTER WATER. If you are not prone to freezing, I would run straight distilled water with a rust inhibitor and let it ride. Nothing cools like pure water. Anti-freeze does not help it cool.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, but running straight distilled water - would that not evaporate faster, thus me having to keep adding and checking the water? Sorry for the noob question as I just want to be sure what I'm doing :)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did the radiator manufacture say? That's who/whom I would listen to.

Dale in Indy
Don't know it was a Craiglists deal... I'll goggle the manufacture tho, but I was just posting here since I think many of you maybe running Aluminum rads.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Water can't evaporate in a closed system, go to your parts store buy a bottle or can of rust inhibitor and pump lube combo. read to see if for alum. good to go

·
Registered
913 Posts
I just copied this from WCCC site
7. Coolant composition. A 50/50 mixture does not help cooling it raises the boiling point. Run 100% distilled water with water pump lubricant or distilled water with about 15-20 % antifreeze. Both cool better than 50/50 and still lubricate the water pump to prevent corrosion in system. When the weather cools return to 50/50.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts