Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain how the two small and one large eyebrow molding clips are supposed to be installed?

Mine seem loose to me. Are they supposed to fit tightly? Does it matter what direction the spring leg goes?

For a 69

Thanks

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'll take a stab at it, the two small goes to the top and the large one to the bottom, which you might know, the spring should be pulled out away from the clip so it puts pressure on the clip to help it twist into the trim grooves.
The clips should be fairly tight in the groove.Hope this is some help.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
Adding to what Carlton said, if the clips seem loose (they will not fit tight really), you can tweak the spring wire a bit so that it springs tighter against the molding groove when you place the clip.

Regards,

Bob

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK Thanks for the help guys. Sometimes I'm probably a little too gentle with the 40+ year old parts. I put them in the way they looked to go and with a little pressure the spring does hold them relatively firmly.

One more question, the acorn nuts look like they originally had some sealer on them. Should I bother trying to put sealer on them? Even if I do there's plenty of room around them for water to get past since the holes in the fender extension are oval.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Did it look like sealer or maybe a rubber washer? I found a few places were it looks like rubber washers or o-rings were used but they are more like putty now.

·
Premium Member
13,577 Posts
OK Thanks for the help guys. Sometimes I'm probably a little too gentle with the 40+ year old parts. I put them in the way they looked to go and with a little pressure the spring does hold them relatively firmly.

One more question, the acorn nuts look like they originally had some sealer on them. Should I bother trying to put sealer on them? Even if I do there's plenty of room around them for water to get past since the holes in the fender extension are oval.
Yes, put sealer, on both the clip around the stud and on the nut. Whatever squishes out, you collect. What stays prevents moisture entry into the area.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
What type of sealer would you use? just a black silicone or rtv?

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I think originally it was a butyl rubber type thing at least on the nut side....I'd use black rtv nowadays since it holds up so much better and oozes into the holes mo-beta. Don't get crazy on tightening them up since they are fairly fragile. Let the RTV be the "glue"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts