Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a standard 68 Cougar that a long time back the owner had an XR-7 dash installed. I decided to keep the dash and compliment it with the overhead console. I have the console with a harness, front and rear roof brackets and mounting hardware. The question now is how do I pull back the headliner without damaging it to be able to bolt up the brackets and route the harness? Of course then I'll have to get the headliner back in place looking as good as new. Any suggestions along with either pictures or instructions?

·
Registered
309 Posts
I to have contemplated the install of the overhead console and the head liner has been the major reason I have not pursued that thought. I would think you will have to remove the sun visors and the metal strip across the front and then I believe to do it right the windshield will have to come out, the a piller mouldings then remove the windlass and all the moulding down the roof to the C pillar and then pull loose the headliner. You will have to do this to both sides to install the roof braces. Then run the harness down the roof and thru the C pillar. If you don't have C pillar lights now would be the time to install them. I installed them in mine and really like them. As cheap as a headliner is I think I would pull both front and rear glass install the overhead console and replace the headliner. In the removing parts of it I think you will find it stretches and will not really fit as good. I would assume that as you have the XR-7 dash soomebody also changed the dash harness to fit all the differences. If not you will have to also rewire the overhead, install the door adjar switches, fuel sending unit and wire the low fuel, and install the E brake harness if you don't have that to. It sounds like lots of fun let us know how it works!!

·
Registered
7,552 Posts
Have you located the two bolt holes that the over head bolts into?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts