Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my origional whisper air compressor that a while ago i made a stupid decision and with a mechanic suggestion i took the air conditioner out thinking it would give alot more power but it hasent done much

Well now im trying to figure how to reinstall it , i believe i have all the brackets with doing some searching on wcc and some other sites but i didnt know if anyone else has had to take theres out or something and so i can figure out how to reinstall mine

Or does anyone know of a trustworthy ac shop down here in florida that maybe they can figure it out

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you only took the compressor off and still have all the brackets, any competent a/c shop should be able to reinstall it. Nice to see you realize you want it back. Never fails to amaze me to see how many factory a/c classic cars have their a/c parts removed.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I just finished putting back the stock whisperaire system on my '69 with every elemrnt down to the original compressor tag and with R-12, and I sure wasn't "whispering" while I was working on it!

JAMES

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i made the mistake many years ago when i was only 19 and all i thought was more power but even just 6 years older i realized what a stupid mistake i made taking it out but we all make mistakes and i learned bye it , hopefully its not a pricey mistake to have someone reinstall everything

I didnt know considering ive had my compressor in a box for like 6 years , i did take all the air out of the compressor before storing it but i didnt know if i had to bring it to someone to check the compressor or it should just be ok to put freon back in and im figuring im going to have to change the input so it can take the r134a and is really a big difference changing it from r12 to r134a

·
Registered
913 Posts
Being you are only 25, you got a lot more mistakes to make!

·
Registered
669 Posts
If you want a working a/c then you most likely will have to repalce the compressor and receiver dryer. You pretty much don't have a choice but to put r134 in it. Not a big deal on these cars. One thing however. It will not be as cold as with r12. This is why classic auto air makes a different condensor that has 6 rows of cooling capacity instead of 3. Their catalog is on-line. I'm running r134 with all original set up in the '69 and it will blow at about 50 degrees from the center vents with fan on medium and about 90 degrees outside. Not cold in the car but comfortable. With the different condesor and a sanden compressor, it would most likely be blowing about 35 degrees. By the way classic auto air is in Tampa.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Depending on what is still under the hood this is a pretty straight forward job.

Give me a call at 813-251-2356 x 7022 and I can help get you going in the right direction.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info , like i said earlier hopefully it wont be to pricey of a mistake i made but when i finally have it reinstalled i will be relieved

Ron i left you a message on your machine at work , i work odd hours and i just saw your post now so just let me know , im actually at work right so just leave me a message

1 - 9 of 9 Posts