Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am having trouble determining what the cause of my inst. panel lights not working is. Before you suggest, I already checked the fuse. I have traced the wiring as best as I could and it seems as if everything is connected. The gauges work fine, but when the headlights are on, I get nothing inside. Since I recently rebuilt the engine, I liek to see my temp and oil gauges to enjoy the fact that they are running as expected.

If anyonce can offer advice, that would be great. I know this is vague, but if you have an idea of where to start I will start there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
dash lights out?

What year is your cougar?

Do the lights work for the radio? It could be the
potentiometer at the headlight switch. Check fuse panel again
and owners manual fuse information.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Could be a simple thing, but is the dimmer turned down too far... I speak from experience when I first got my car...

Mark

·
Registered
614 Posts
Yeah, I'd definitely look into that headlight switch...anyone who's owned a Ford from the 60's on can tell you...they can be at fault for a lot of things.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. It is a 68 xr7, sorry I did not mention that.

The radio is out completely (along with the console etc). Could this be the problem. I am redoing the interior as we speak. I suspect the head light switch as well, so that will be replaced (it should be cheap).

I check the dimmer a while ago, that was not it, but I sure to wish that was. Also the fuses have been triple checked and there was a blown fuse a while back, so it was replaced. Now the fuse it fine.

I will look into it and give an update after the weekend.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Check the horn. Believe it not, the horn fuse is wired through the light switch on the 67/68. If the horn does not work, your headlight switch is probably bad.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the same problem with my 67. Everything worked but the guage lights. My problem was in the alternator harness.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts