Mercury Cougar Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Auto Rama and saw a couple of cars that inspired me for color. What do you think for the 68 XR7-G clone that I am working on? It will be this color with black top vinyl top and posibly parchment interior or saddle.

I saw a Dark brown 68 that Don has and I have kept the pictures, if Don would like maybe he will post them and maybe more if he has them.

The first car is gold base with Root beer on top. I love this but there is a hint of green over tones that can be seen in it.

This is a Ford Truck that has what they call Rattle Snake, very much like the Root Beer but has more metal flake and a Red dye on top to help get rid of the Green overtones.

This is a type of style and color that is possible for my car that I may try with more of a cougar theme.

And here is another that is close in color but just to give an example of the parchment interior and the brow.

Let me know what you think.
Dennis

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Popular colors among the custom car crowd change from year to year. While Red and Black will always be the most popular. Others vary year to year. When I painted my car, I had only seen Tangelo Pearl on one other car. About five years later, it exploded in popularity. Now it has been replaced by Brown. Yes, Brown is now the most popular custom car color. Big name builders like Foose, put it on his "Terracuda" project two years ago. Last year Rick Dore built a custom 36 Auburn Speedster for Metallica's James Hetfield and painted it Root Beer.

Your trip to Detroit yielded everyone else who is jumping on the Brown bandwagon now. I agree, it looks really classy on the right car. But it has to be complimented with the right color interior and top, (I think you're on the right track...) otherwise, it will just end up looking like it was painted with leftover UPS package truck paint.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree it has to have character and I would definitely, not make it look like the UPS trucks. Like I said, Don has a great couple of pictures that would give a good idea of what it could be, if he puts them up or gives permission for me to. I know what I want to go with and what I can see in my minds eye, just need lots of money now.

·
Registered
8,194 Posts
There is a really nice dark brown clearcoat paint used on the current Ford Flex. I've seen a few this color and it looks a lot like what you show in your pics. Nice!!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Keep in mind, too, that those are all pics inside under the big magic lights. Outside, chances are they aren't nearly as fancy.

I get it, though. Those rich browns with the right interiors can be quite classy. Even brown with a dark bronze looks good. It's do-able. Go for it. Be a first.

·
Contributing Member
6,137 Posts
Keep in mind, too, that those are all pics inside under the big magic lights. Outside, chances are they aren't nearly as fancy.
That is correct. In fact, that padded top 37 Ford that is the last picture is a car that I'm very familiar with. It was built by a shop right down the street from here. It's actually more of a burnt orange color.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya, that is another color I was going for was the burnt orange. My son took the first picture and the last with his camera and the last one he doctored up in Photoshop, It changed the color. I thought I would put it up just as an example of the brown look and the color of the interior.
I sent a PM to Don to see if it would be ok for his pictures to be posted or if he had anymore of the dark brown cat he had or has.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are a couple of pictures that I thought were cool and about the right color.

·
Registered
11,950 Posts
I have always liked rootbeer - a classy but not overstated color.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts